1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Beatles pastiche?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I agree on "Lies," Huggy. Do you happen to know who wrote it? Allmusic.com credits the Knickerbockers duo of Beau Charles/Buddy Randell, but I also read an item by a San Diego music critic named Gordon Hauptfleisch that credits Seals and Crofts. I find that hard to believe, but stranger things have happened (i.e. Hendrix opening for the Monkees).
    ???

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Todd Rundgren and Utopia did an entire album of this called "Deface the Music." It was pretty good; some people love it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Smithereens have a song-for-song cover of Meet the Beatles, which is another matter altogether.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

XTC were geniuses. A little prissy and English, but geniuses nevertheless. They always reminded me of the Beatles and I never even knew about the Dukes incarnation.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Sonic Youth were rumored to have done a song-for-song cover of "The White Album" at one point in the mid-80s, which would have been f'n awesome. Thurston Moore said it was a hoax, but they did a cover of "Back in the USSR" which was never released.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Matthew Sweet, and well, almost every band since 1964?

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Big Star, REM, Crosby Stills & Nash, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Mersey Beat bands, Byrds, just to name a few.

Oh, I forgot Wings!

8. Day after Day
    Badfinger

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Raspberry Beret by Prince could have been the B-side of Hello Goodbye.

(Was Hello Goodbye itself the B-side of Penny Lane? I can't remember)

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Strawberry Fields Forever" was the b-side to "Penny Lane."

I had to look up "Hello Goodbye" - its b-side was "I Am The Walrus," which apparently pissed off John.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"I Hate It Here" off the new Wilco record has a mid-song guitar chord progression ripped directly (and intentionally) from the Beatles.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Judy in Disguise (With Glasses) -- John Fred and his Playboy Band

I was also going to say Day After Day by Badfinger. And does Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey count?

Draft saved Draft deleted