1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Beatles pastiche?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 11, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So many songs -- not covers, but originals -- that deliberately incorporate Beatles-like elements.

The collected work of the Rutles, of course, and my personal fave: "Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO.

Anybody else got any favorites?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Lies" by New Jersey's Knickerbockers is the best Beatles song the early Fab Four never did.

Another one I really like: "About A Girl" by Nirvana.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"Cheese and Onions" by The Rutles

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Dukes of Stratosphere, which was an 80s band that was really just the guys from XTC playing with a made-up name, did an album called Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. The album channels the Beatles psychodelic pop from Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour better than anything yyou will ever hear, but is original enough in its own right that it blows most people I have ever played it for away. Like Peppers it has the strings and horns and harmonies, but you can also hear lots of other influences in it, including Pink Floyd, the Hollies and the Beach Boys. It's still one of my favorite albums--one no one seems to know--and I have been listening to it for more than 20 years.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"A legend that will last a lunchtime ..."

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"When We Was Fab" - George Harrison
    "Pennyroyal Tea" - Nirvana (it's "I'm So Tired" crossed with "Yer Blues")

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears.

(What's a "pastiche?")

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I almost put "Brainiac's Daughter" instead of "Cheese and Onions".

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

"Ain't It The Life" by Foo Fighters reminds me of "Across the Universe"

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I loved "25 O'Clock," which I think was on a different Dukes of Stratosphere record.

A couple more:

"Not The Girl You Think You Are" by Crowded House
    "She Goes Out With Everybody" by The Spongetones

11. The Big Ragu

Great song. Listening to it as I type this because of you. Out of everything on that album, that is the one that could have slipped right into Sgt. Peppers without having to change anything on the rest of the album. My favorite Dukes song is Vanishing Girl, which reminds me of The Hollies if you crossbred them perfectly with the Beatles. This stuff makes me think of college.

12. The Big Ragu

The Dukes did two albums in the mid to late 80s, and then in the late 80s they combined the two previous albums in their entirety to make Chips From the Chocolate Fireball. 25 O'Clock is the first song on the combined album.

Draft saved Draft deleted