1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball or sports card of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

From what set? Franklin Mint? :D

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Couple things here:

1. I agree this is one of my favorite cards too, just because his ass is sticking out. Shame he couldn't strike this pose, say, in his 1999 Topps card.

2. I realize this is an O-pee-chee card. Who here, as a kid, didn't plunk down a couple bucks for a grab bag pack with a guaranteed rookie star card, only for it to be an O-pee-chee card?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

Mine's either the 1988 or 1989 Brook Jacoby Score card. The '88 was purple-bordered, and on the back picture he has his hands on his hips and he's all cute in his batting helmet. In the '89 (green bordered), the pic on the back is my second favorite pic of his.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had this card, and I thought it was really cool. Then some other guy at summer camp made fun of it because it was only "Series 1" (the wood grain got finer in subsequent series). We moved the next summer and somehow my baseball cards didn't make the trip. I never really collected stuff again.

And that is my 3000th post. Hoo-yah.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I used to love to open a pack and see this one:

[​IMG]

I've still got a mess of 'em, somewheres.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nothing tops my Ken Phelps rookie card.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

There was a time when I would've taken a bullet for this card. Thank God it never came to that. :D

[​IMG]

8. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

In the mid-1970s, my mother would have an occasional swap meet with her fourth-grade class. Each kid brought something from home they didn't want and traded with classmates.

One time, she came home and plopped a shoe box on the kitchen table for me to open: Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Williams, Ford, Snider, another Mantle, another Aaron, etc. And several others I'd never heard of. Probably 50 cards in all.

A boy had brought them to class, not a baseball fan and especially not a fan of 20-year-old cards. My mom SWORE she tried to get him to take them home, or get another kid to take them.

So my favorite is a young Hank Aaron, 1954 rookie card. My daughter will never find that card and take it to school.

9. 1988 Fleer had some cards with shots taken in old Comiskey Park. Loved those shots with those yellow rails in the bottom deck.

I once had a cousin who swindled a kid for a Rickey Henderson rookie - paid $1 for it, was valued at $235 at one time. His dad tried to tell him to sell it so they could take a trip.

Also, a buddy tried to show off in front of us by plopping down damn near $100 for an '84 Mattingly. I'd punch myself in the crotch once a day for the rest of my life if I did that.

What are both worth now? Maybe $15?

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

O-pee-chee, man did that always feel like a rip off. Same thing with the Leaf Donruss cards.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I probably have 20 of them. I'm guessing they're worth about $5 each. At one point you couldn't buy them for less than $100.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1975 Nolan Ryan

I never tore open more packs, and never got Nolan.

Did get lots of George Bretts though!

Draft saved Draft deleted