1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball or sports card of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Would've been more fitting if he was crashing into Tree Rollins.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I actually am still into collecting. I love the stuff they put in the cards now. Jersey pieces, pieces of cleat, bat pieces, etc.

I surf youtube and I see videos of great pulls out of packs. One most recently I saw was a fold out card from I think it was Topps Sterling of a Mickey Mantle auto bat piece. Thing sold for $4,400 apparently.

Now most of the time you get crap, but the chance that you do pull some "mojo" is quite fun. Last year, Adrian peterson rookie autos (the rarer ones from the inserts) were going for as much as $1,300. A 1/1 AP signed Upper Deck card went for almost $2,000 because it was a NFL shield card.

I'll post some vids of some fantastic pulls by some of these guys, including one of a Ruth/Dimaggio pull that I would've shit my pants if I had gotten.

- Ruth/Dimaggio pull

- Upper Deck Icons football (If you're going to get into collecting, watch this guy's videos. he's a card shop owner in N.C. and he does some of the best box breaks on you tube. Cheap prices too!)

- The Cup - hockey break. (It's an expensive prodcut, but it was extremely hot during the Ovechkin/Crosby rookie year. You can still get boxes of that product if I'm not mistaken).

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't get it ....

:D

4. Tommy_Dreamer

And my favorite card that I have is tied between the Ryne Sandberg Topps rookie and the Ozzie Smith rookie. Both are not in great shape but I like them.

Coolest thing I pulled wasn't worth much but Steelers fans would love it.

It was a Hines Ward patch card out of 2006 Donruss Gridiron Gear. The patch was the center of the Steelers logo where all the points intersect and Steelers is in small letters, basically like the center of the helmet. I ended up selling it, or I'd post a pic of it.

On an ironic note, in that same box I pulled a card one year too late. Pulled a Michael Vick auto 7/7 (to the number is more valuable) insert card. If I had opened that box before he became impounded it might have went for more than $500.

5. KYSportsWriter

This card is somewhere in my room at home:
    [​IMG]

As are these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Tommy_Dreamer

What the hell is that Ruth Card?

And, just to let you all know, most, about 90-95% of Jeter-A-Rod rookies from that time frame aren't worth squat because of the oversaturation of the market at that time. These days all the "true" rookie cards are short printed. The realy money rookies, like for instance, A Matt Ryan auto rookie card, come when you get the auto on a shorter print insert. Say for example, a Matt Ryan auto Superfractor from Topps Finest. Usually, if I'm not mistaken, those are 1/1 cards.

7. It's amazing that this thread came up today. I got a call from a friend a few hours ago and he told me that his mom just found a 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle card in a box full of old pictures. In pretty mint condition, too, he says.

Bastard.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I was into collecting. Everything from baseball to football and even basketball, even though I didn't know who half those guys were.
    I did know, though, about Kenny "Sky" Walker. If you saw his picture peeking through a wax pack of 1989 Hoops cards, you grabbed it. At the bottom of the pack was a David Robinson rookie card, worth about $10 at the time. I must've snatched up a couple dozen of those and then resold them on the spot for the money and more cards. I was a bored little child.

Favorite card of all-time is probably the 1989 Barry Sanders Pro Set rookie. Might be worth $5 today, because they printed 10 million of the damn things, but he was my favorite player at the time and I could never seem to get his card out of a pack. And the packs were cheap, too, about 50 cents, so I wasn't afraid to keep trying.
    For me, that card kind of symbolizes the thrill of the chase and the fun of collecting. Not the $5 packs, Don West screaming at me to buy a hundred gem mint 10 Derek Jeter rookie cards, or the creepy 50-year-old guys who pretty much priced kids out of the hobby (no offense, Tommy).

9. Tommy_Dreamer

LMAO, I'm nowhere near 50 :D it's OK, I understand the apathy these days to sports cards. I just love the feeling of opening up packs and the thrill of pulling something incredibly awesome. Hell, I feel good if it's a card that isn't worth much but it has one of my favorite players or my favorite team on it. The whole thing makes me feel like a kid again.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Before I got out of collecting altogether, Tommy, I did something I'm kind of proud of. I started collecting cards that just had great pictures. Not star players. I didn't give a shit who it was. I just wanted good-looking cards. The '91 or '92 Upper Deck football series was great for that. Sharp colors, great action shots. When I moved last year, I found a couple card cases full of them. It put a smile on my face.

On a tangent, I also loved the old Marvel Masterpieces cards. They were paintings of most of the classic Marvel characters, and they came out in that same time frame in the early 90s. Some of those things (the Apocalypse card comes to mind) were so lifelike they were frightening. They were awesome and beautiful, and kind of merged my two passions at the time -- card collecting and comics.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

I remember those. I think I had a set of them.

The cards these days are pretty nice for the most part. Made even better if you get a prime patch or swatch of jersey that has multi-colors in it. Like that Hines Ward Steelers card I pulled.

12. KYSportsWriter

The card in that picture is a 22-karat gold card.

Draft saved Draft deleted