1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball or sports card of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wish I had the coin to afford this. Great looking rookie card.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have an early 70s 3-D Johnny Unitas I got out of a box of Frosted Flakes. I didn't even like the Colts but that card is still pristine.

I have a Dick Butkus card from the late 60s. I drew a mustache and beard on it. Badass linebacker, my ass.

In related news, as a child I was given a ball signed by the 1958 Yankees -- Mantle, Ford, Stengel, Larsen. It's a little-known fact that I played for the '58 Yanks, my signature on the ball proves it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I also have a pair of Joe Montana rookies that I put in an envelope and sent to him at Candlestick Park. I was eight or nine at the time.

I got both back six weeks later signed.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fixed. :D

5. Mizzougrad96

Now, that would definitely be the case. In 1981, I doubt it. I've gotten Montana's autograph at training camp a few times as a kid and the signatures match.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "I always wanted a copy of the Carl Yastrzemski with the crazy sideburns."

7. I have a few things signed by Mantle.

Despite it's constant drop in value, my all-time favorite card will always be the 1989 UD Griffey Jr. RC

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Joe Shlabotnik rookie card [/Charlie Brown]

9. Mizzougrad96

That is a great card. I used to have about 50 of them, but I sold most of them during 1997 and 1998 because I was convinced the card wasn't going to go up anymore than it already had. Fortunately, I also unloaded most of my McGwires and Sosas during that time as well.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Best card I've ever pulled (value): 2000 Upper Deck Joe Montana Greats Autographed Game-worn jersey card.
    Bought one pack of 2000 UD MVP football for $1, pulled a card that's one in 200,000 packs. Sold on the spot for $250.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I may not even have this card...I remember it being the Holy Grail when I was trying to complete the 1985 Fleer set. It didn't seem to exist, and the few times I did see it for sale, it was way pricy b/c I grew up in Yankee Country and Donnie Baseball was God. But I always loved this card:

[​IMG]

I think I finally landed it. I know I still need the Clemens rookie to complete the set. Oh the irony.

I have a lot of other favorites that will surely spring to mind in the next few minutes.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I can't find the exact Fleer card, but it had this picture, which I always found haunting. I still have it around somewhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted