1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 14, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

10? wow.

i also saw it in a theater. but i was in high school. in japan.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Good to see some love for the Sandlot. The scenes with Squints at the pool and all of the kids getting to play night baseball because of the July 4th fireworks with Ray Charles playing are outstanding.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i remember some not like the love story angle... which, well, i think i could say about just every damn sports movie ever made

but, we americans in japan found it hilarious -- whoever wrote it, had spent some time in japan. i can understand why those with no experience in the country didn't find some things funny. those of us who have been over there, though...

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Why the love for 61*?

I liked it, it was well-acted, but it seemed like a throw-away biopic.

It didn't really introduce any new ideas or information. It didn't seem like anything more than Billy Crystal's love letter to the Yankees of the 50s and 60s.

Me, I'll take Bull Durham.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd count it. After all, it had a baseball, base paths and Reggie Jackson.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Caught The Natural again the other night. Scene with The Whammer is best film portrayal of Babe Ruth (thanks, Joe Don Baker) since Ruth played himself in Pride of the Yankees.

But . . . the ending pisses me off every damn time (slight deviation from the book, let's just say).

And since seeing Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, seeing her in the sweetheart role in The Natural is like watching Bette Davis as Baby Jane from Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? Glenn Close looks old enough to be Redford's mother.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is more than just the ending, too. The entire tone of the book felt different from me, as did the two versions of Roy Hobbs.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Eight Men Out.

Field of Dreams a distant 2nd.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The Natural without a doubt is my favourite. Robert Redford is a great actor too.

10. Easy for me ... 61*

Followed by Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams and Major League.

11. Does "Cobb" count?

The Natural is easily my favorite. But I really enjoyed "Cobb."

The book was good too.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Major League
    Mr. Baseball
    The Sandlot.
    A League of Their Own
    Bad News Bears

Draft saved Draft deleted