1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bull Durham is the best... The Sandlot is the most underrated...

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Bad News Bears" (also one of my top 5 overall).

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bad News Bears might be No. 2 on my list of baseball movies... It was a travesty that they tried to re-make it...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll go one further: one of the worst remakes of anything, ever, and that's including that piece of garbage Depp-starring Willie Wonka crapola.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My top 10:
    1. The Natural
    2. Field of Dreams
    3. *61
    4. The Sandlot
    5. Major League
    6. Eight Men Out
    7. Bad News Bears
    8. Bull Durham
    9. A League of Their Own
    10. Rookie of the Year
    T-10. Angels in the Outfield

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Depending on mood, either "A League of Their Own" or "Major League." Honorable mention to "Eight Men Out."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Natural is syrupy. But it is number two for me. My number one is Pride of the Yankees. No matter how many times I see it, and no matter how many times I laugh at how unathletic Gary Cooper looks, I still can't get past the love I have had for this movie since I was about 8. Bull Durham would be number three.

"Bang The Drum Slowly," is underrated. It suffers from the same "unathletic-looking actors" problem as many of these movies. Michael Moriarty is great in it, but the scenes of him pitching are brutal. Same with Di Nero. Great acting job, but could not pass as a major league catcher.

The "unathletic-looking actors" genre is brought to its most ridiculous unintentional comedy level in "Fear Strikes Out," with Tony Perkins playing Jimmy Piersall. The dose of Karl Malden as the overbearing father, added to Perkins, makes it funny beyond description.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Yankees fan, but I don't think I've ever seen Pride of the Yankees. How old is it?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035211/

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Major League and Field of Dreams would be my top two.

Very happy to see nobody mention The Scout, Talent for the Game, Mr. Baseball, or Mr. 3000.

However in the Major League triology, Back to the Minors was better than Major League II.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i like mr. baseball, but that could just be because of my particular biases...

i like the natural, but it can certainly drag, that's for sure

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I kinda liked Talent for the Game...but it would be very far down my list.

Barsuk, we should definitely be proud of pulling of a Long Gone-jack. It's a deserving movie.

Personally, I'm glad to see no affection given to For Love of the Game. It really wasn't that horrible....but I loved the book and it wasn't even close to that quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted