1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite baseball movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, admittedly, the book was a lot better than the movie.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Gotta go with Major League, 61* and Field of Dreams. I know it's a popular pick with a lot of people, but no matter how hard I tried over the years, I could never find myself able to buy into The Natural. Just couldn't do it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Let's go.....Sto-gies....Let's go...Sto-o-gies."

"She just loves yer ass, kid"

It's been a very long time since I have seen that movie, but I still remember it well.

Should mention 61*, too. Great movie. I can even forgive Thomas Jane for The Punisher just because of his performance in 61*.

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

"When God made woman, he made her out of lace. He didn't have enough, so he left that little space. When God made men, he made them out of string. He had a little left, so he made that little thing."

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not quite right. The part about men comes first.

"When God made Man, He made him outta string. He had a little left, so He left that little thing. When God made Woman, He made her outta lace. He didn't have enough, so He left that little space. Thank you, God!"

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Gotta go with "A League of Their Own"

Yeah, Kim Basinger is pretty, but I'm more of a "Kit" type.

Also liked:

Major League
    Eight Men Out
    The Babe (with John Goodman)
    The Fan (OK, a guilty pleasure)

Didn't like:

Field of Dreams
    Bull Durham
    Angels in the Outfield
    Rookie of the Year

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I am fairly certain this marks the first (and perhaps the last) "Long Gone"-jack in the history of the board. :D

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought I had a copy of "Long Gone" on VHS, but I can't find it ... must have loaned it out and not gotten it back. I keep telling my wife about it, because she loves William Petersen on CSI. I said, "No, his name is Stud Cantrell ... and fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."
    I'll rank it right with "Bull Durham."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I prefer Major League, but just once I'd like to see a baseball movie made that isn't so romantic toward the sport, that is a little more gritty, that plays up the cliques among players, the bs of some organizations. Like a North Dallas Forty of baseball movies. Sad to say I think Bad News Bears comes the closest of movies I've seen.

What, no love for "Summer Catch"?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Bull Durham had bright spots and was light at times; the rainout theme comes to mind. There wasn't anything similar in NDF...

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Does Baseketball count?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think it's a lot like the sports themselves. Football is gritty, so you have gritty movies. Baseball is nostalgic, longing for a better time; you see the movies reflect the sport in the same way

Draft saved Draft deleted