1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Baseball Fights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I recall, after the Whiten - McDowell tilt, Stottlemyre went very high and inside on Frank Thomas. He'd throw at anyone.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That wasn't an umpire. It was Enrico Pallazzo.

Mike Sweeney vs. Jeff Weaver was a pretty good brawl. And didn't Torii Hunter once get hit by a pitch and then fling the ball back at the pitcher?

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

One I saw in person. Can't remember the exact date but it was in September 1976 at the Coliseum. A's and Royals. Don Baylor charged the mound after getting drilled by Dennis Leonard. Leonard ran off the mound only to get speared by Claudell Washington, who ran in from the dugout. And it was on. Some A's fans poured beer on Royals players in the bullpen, too.

Not as good as Braves-Padres but pretty wild to see one in person.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Me too. I don't recall specifics of the telecast other than Caray eventually seemed a little exasperated. Having stated that, he had some fun with it as well.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Minor league division: Izzy Alcantara teaches kids that if you want a clear shot at the pitcher, take out the catcher first.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think Pedro Guerrero did that too in the late 80's. I remember it was a Latin home run hitter from that era anyway.

EDIT - I just checked and Guerrero threw his bat at a pitcher, not a ball. The pitcher was David Cone. Maybe Cone jerked off in front of Guerrero's mother or something, I don't know.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

World edition: Mexico vs. Canada at the WBC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAtGT-fFvr0
    skip to about the 2:10 mark if you don't want to see the lead-up to it (Canada bunting for a single with a 9-3 lead because run differential was a tiebreaker.

College edition: Purdue-IU in the Bee-One-Gee tourney
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7kfOuyBTU

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always love the locker-room fights where players seem more concerned about a camera filming it, than the teammates or coaches duking it out.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered this game, Dodgers at Pirates. Below is NOT my story, but somebody else posted it last time this topic came around on SJ.
    I was walking in the concourse a level below the press box. The fans started yelling and, in the small slice of the field I could see from behind the stands, the relief pitchers were all sprinting toward the infield. I headed for the escalator to go back up to the press box when I saw Pittsburgh beat guy Charley Feeney (RIP), running DOWN the UP escalator. I followed him to a stairway and we were quickly down at the clubhouse level where all the players were crammed in.
    Best quote of the day came from Rick Monday: "Rick Sutcliffe and Dave Parker were nose to nose right in the middle. It looked like a center jump at a basketball game."

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/30th-anniversary-out-of-sight-dodgers-pirates-fight-8-25-11/

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember a Royals-Indians one when Bo Jackson was on the team where he just punched the fuck out of (I think...) Pat Tabler. He looked like he had been hit by Mike Tyson he went down so fast.

Ventura-Ryan is an obvious favorite as well.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

This.

From a visual standpoint, this thread begins and ends with George Brett

Draft saved Draft deleted