1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite announcers....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, May 25, 2012.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I was entertained by Dick Enberg and Don Drysdale who used to broadcast for the Angels.
    Ditto for La Kings broadcasters Bob Miller and Nick Nickson before they were separated.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dick Enberg still does Padres games on a regular basis. I think he's on the Vin Scully schedule, where he primarily works home and West Coast games.

3. As a young writer covering the Angels, the best thing about Enberg and Drysdale, and Scully is they were always friendly and helpful. Despite the stage they were on, they always had time for a young journalist, and treated them with respect. Just as good away from the mike as in front of it.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Drysdale was surprisingly good as the Rams color man as well.

I was never crazy about him as a solo radio pbp guy. It seemed he never gave the score.

5. writingump

writingump Member

The Enberg-Drysdale team may have been the best single-team duo which I can recall. And they had some real dogs with the 70s Angels. Do the names Dave Chalk and Joe Lahoud ring a bell for anyone?

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Drysdale's play-by-play work for the Dodgers, after he left as color man for the Angels, was uneven. Yet he had a folksy honesty which contrasted to the smooth, corporate, Disneyfied, Farmer John pork pitchman, Vin Scully. (ducks the wrath of God)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Doc Emrick is great but will never be as good as Bob Cole, the legendary CBC HNIC announcer. Bob is getting a little old and sometimes forgets players' names but no one beats him. Ever.

8. Love all the guys you just mentioned. I grew up listening to Buddy D and Henderson call Saints games, and they were a great team. Hokie stepped in nicely, and you nailed it about him bringing a distinctly coonass feel to the broadcast booth, which I think helps his local audience embrace him even more.

A national guy I'm a sucker for is Ian Darke. He hits the spectacular moments in international football with authority. He's had some wonderful calls, particularly in the past two World Cups for the USA (men's and women's).

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that making a ex-jock a pbp guy on radio is the Peter Principal in practice and Drysdale is an example. So much of what a good radio PBP guy does is dependent on the quality of his voice and his sense of timing. Few ex-jocks have the ability and the experience to be really good at radio PBP. But on television where voice is not as important jocks can be much more effective on pbp. Ed Farmer of the White Sox is a current example of someone who does not have the talent to by a pbp guy though he was an excellent color guy.

And if you grew up in Colorado in the 60's and early 70's, Bob Martin, the long-time Broncos bpb, was the Voice of God. And a good guy. He spent an hour being interviewed by me for my ninth grade paper.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jim Healy was a constant critic of Drysdale. Well, he was a constant critic of everyone, but he especially jabbed Drysdale.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always loved his items on "Dan Dierdork."

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up in St. Louis and listening to the Blues on the radio, it started and stopped with the late Dan Kelly for me.

And though I hated the Blackhawks all my life, I remember Pat Foley and Dale Tallon working as announcers on both the team's TV and radio feeds at the same time - and making them both sound good. I don't know if that was commonplace at the time, but I always was impressed with how they pulled it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted