1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faulty investigation leads to execution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Aug 26, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When our accuracy rate is 100 percent, then I'll agree that the death penalty is acceptable.

Until then, however ...

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"Our bad."

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Win some, lose some.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like they got burnt.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not to excuse at all what happened, but I think I'd prefer to be dead if I lost my three children under such tragic circumstances.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Easy thing to say when you're not living on death row, facing a death chamber.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Easy to say when you are a parent.

If I caused the little girl in my sig to be burnt to death, eating a gun would not be a problem. If I left her to die in the car from heat stroke while strapped in her car seat, I would blow the back of my head off as well.

I have already told my wife that.

Back on thread...

Wow, it's really unlike Texans to jump with both feet into something without having all the proper information. [/Iraqscoreboard]

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, evidence suggests he didn't cause his kids to burn to death, which is sort of the point.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"Just for that, you get a full refund."

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Remember, kids: Science education is for the Elite.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

"This is not the forum to be cavalier."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

New Yorker has an epic story on the case in the new issue. I don't know how anyone could read this (note, it's a long story, and I'd say this is a story that deserves to be) and think Texas got it right. Just horrible.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann?currentPage=all

One of the top arson experts in the country dismantled every piece of evidence right before the execution. The original arson investigators basically used theories that were eventually completely discredited (it sounds like they got them from watching Backdraft). His findings were, of course, ignored. He believes it was an accidental fire caused by a space heater or faulty wiring.

Willingham's original lawyer also comes off as a complete loser.

It also has the remarkable story of a woman who was key in getting people to look at his case again. Not that it helped him in the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted