1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fathers, I'm dying to know ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the happy Father's Day wishes, Joe.

My boys have very little interest in sports, mostly Disney shows and SpongeBob. We do love watching the Simpsons together, although Mrs. Scicluna hates it when we do.

Generally, when I'm not at work, I see a couple of innings, here and there. Late in the NFL season, when the older Scicluna's soccer season ends, I might be able to watch most of one game.

I also think my attention span to sports has waned through the years. As a kid and teen, I used to watch practically any game that was on TV. Now, if I miss it, I miss it. I don't even bother to tape it.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bingo. Not that I'm complaining.

I have always been a huge sports fan and I thought (fantasy?) that when my boys got older they would watch sports with me.

Well they are now 9 and 6 (almost 7) and they have zero interest of watching any sports even though they love playing them.

So I never get to watch any event live. Thank goodness for our DVR. (I got to watch Tiger's 2nd and 3rd round in their entirety without knowing the result.)

3. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I'm trying my best to make my oldest (3) watch sports and will do so for my youngest when he 's old enough. But for now, the only thing I'm guaranteed is watching my NFL team on Sundays (there is no compromise there).

During round one of the Open this week, I did have my little girl yelling, "Get in the hole!" every time someone hit the ball. And there might never be a sports phrase I hate more than that, but if it gets the kid interesting in watching, I'll take it.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Empty nesters can watch all they want.

I'd still rather the kids be home. Well, maybe not now given their ages. But you know what I mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted