1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fathers, I'm dying to know ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Jun 13, 2008.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

If you're a dad of young children, or when you were a dad of young kids, how much sports do/did you really get to watch?

In addition to a BCS school beat to keep tabs on, I have two sons, ages 5 and 2. When I'm not working, I get the chance to catch a few innings here, a quarter or so there. If I want to see an entire game -- most of the time, a college game to help me be better informed on the beat -- I have to record it for later.

The last live game I watched from beginning to end that I was not covering? I'm pretty sure it was the 2006 Texas-USC Rose Bowl.

I guess that makes me a pretty poor sports fan. But I like to think it makes be a better husband and father.

Oh, and Happy Father's Day to the dads of SportsJournalists.com.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tivo, DVR.

Godsends.

3. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

Can't remember the last time I watched a full sporting event on TV . . . other than the Belmont.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

Oh, I'll get to watch the Phillies on a pretty regular basis, just not the entire game.

My wife will give me a break on some Sundays during the fall if the Eagles or Steelers are on. :D

I'm mostly listening on the radio, though, especially when I'm out running my evening errands on my nights off.

As for my 7-year-old, she'll let me check the score when there's a commerical during Spongebob. ;)

5. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Funny, but the 2006 Rose Bowl might have been the last sporting event I watched every second of as well ... on TV.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

DVR. And having to keep up with motorsports means basically no other sports when I'm home. Get anything that's on anywhere in the office, so watch a tom there. Well, not really watch, but it's on.

7. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

Keystone, your 7-year-old and my 5-year-old have been comparing notes on how to keep Daddy's TV viewing to 60-second snippets.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Went from watching NFL all day Sundays to watching stray moments of golf and an NCAA basketball game here and there.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. is eight and loves watching baseball with his old man.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I try to put my daughter to sleep if I'm home, so I'm usually MIA from the TV from 8-9. So I'm lucky if I catch the second half of most NBA games. College hoops and football have been cut way back. I rarely watch an entire NFL game anymore. Mostly, it's just soccer, some MLB, some NFL and golf on the background on weekends.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I almost never have the opportunity to watch sports. It's been that way since I got married a decade ago, and it's gradually worsened since the arrival of my two tots. I don't mind. I have the choice of watching the U.S. Open or going to the park for a picnic and some batting practice. Which would you choose?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My 10-year-old son doesn't like when I watch too much sports. Games are often on in the background, but if we're watching together, the Cartoon Network trumps ESPN. I have to ask to check a score during a commercial break of "Zach and Cody." That's OK, because soon enough he'll be a teenager and stay holed up in his room and the TV will be mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted