1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fathers Day Special- most painful song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 2, 2019.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

"Murder in the City" by the Avett Brothers. Especially the the second verse and the last lines.

HC likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The music hasn't dated well, but Creed's "Arms Wide Open" has some stanzas that always brought me up short:

Well I don't know if I'm ready
    To be the man I have to be
    I'll take a breath, I'll take her by my side
    We stand in awe, we've created life
    and:

If I had just one wish
    Only one demand
    I hope he's not like me
    I hope he understands
    That he can take this life
    And hold it by the hand
    And he can greet the world
    With arms wide open​

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I despise Creed on general principle, but this song was playing in the delivery room when my youngest son was born. Fucking sucks that this song makes me tear up every time now because it reminds me of holding him in my arms for the first time.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Heart of Glass" by Blondie was playing when my daughter was born. Always liked that song and now I love it.

JRoyal likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Another one that gets me on a personal level that has absolutely zero to do with being a father -- "My Immortal" by Evanescence.

Story why for those who care: My sons have both gone through the Pride of Broken Arrow marching band. For those not familiar, it is one of the top three or four marching band programs in the country. They're known for being innovative with their music, show design and choreography. And it's in fucking Oklahoma of all places. Anyhow, it's an intense marching band to be part of. They put in more time than the football team thanks to the state activities association not regulating bands as tightly. Shows are always amazing. Anyhow. the first year my oldest son was in the Pride, "My Immortal" was part of their show. It started it, was mingled in with some classical pieces throughout, and then ended the show. My son, a paltry rookie percussionist playing the bells (glockenspiel, as some call it, which is basically a smaller, metal xylophone) actually played the last three notes of the show, a little run that finished the last part of "My Immortal" in their arrangement. That year, they won the Grand National Championship, the biggest thing out there for high school marching bands. So, that song always reminds me of hearing him play those last notes in Lucas Oil Stadium and then of screaming and jumping like a madman when they announced that Broken Arrow had won at the end of the night.

And I'm realizing most of mine aren't necessarily painful, just songs that, as a father, make me get all the feels.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Great thread. "The Living Years" does it for me, as does "Arms Wide Open."

To be honest, about every song does it for me right now. My father is 80 and suffering from pretty serious heart disease. He needs bypass surgery, but isn't nearly strong enough. Had surgery to fix a hole in his aorta and was in the hospital for about a month before being moved to an assisted living facility to try and build up some strength. He has days where he's 100 percent lucid and knows exactly what is coming, and days when he is very confused.

He's far from a perfect man and far from a perfect father, but he did the best he knew how to do. Not sure if he will be around for this Father's Day, but if he does, it will definitely be his last one. Man, this sucks.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That stinks, brother. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

8. AD

AD Active Member

"wonderwall" was on my rental car radio constantly during my visit home when my dad was dying. will forever associate it with him -- and that time -- and thus it randomly has become one of the most important songs of my life.

Like it or not.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I played the Foo Fighters "New Way Home" over and over while driving to bury my dad 19 years ago, screaming along with Grohl. The song doesn't bother me, but I lost that CD long ago so I never hear it anymore. Except through this:

Shit. Got chills.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry you have to go through that. My father has been gone nearly 20 years, but I still remember those moments when what was coming would hit him and how hard those were for him and for all of us. I wish I had some great advice as someone who has been there, but aside from grabbing every minute you can with him, there isn't much to say. I hope it helps in some small way that you've got people here keeping positive thoughts for you.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, that does help.

Part of me is grateful that we all have time to get together and visit him and say the things that need to be said before he goes. I think that will be a comfort at some point.

I think about my wife, and in semi-retirement her father owned and worked a cattle farm. We had lunch with them on a Saturday afternoon about 17 years ago, and the next contact was getting a call from her mom on that next Tuesday night, that he had a massive heart attack while working in the fields and died instantly. I'm sure she would give anything to go back and be able to express her love for him before he died.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Once I heard a song
    Called "Heart of Glass,"
    But pretty quick it became
    A real pain in the ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted