1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father's Day Rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I'm really putting myself out there by asking this, but I'm confused. I have always referred to them as Father's Day and Mother's Day. The day belongs to the father or mother, so that shows possession, right? I'm asking from a grammatical point of view, not AP style.

Sorry for the threadjack, Dan.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as the daddy of a six-month old baby girl, this was my first father's day and it was awesome. i love being a daddy. i know that i am going to be a great dad in part because i had such a good role model. my dad was good-to-great and i intend to be an even better dad than my father was to me.

i was telling my wife that i would love - and i mean LOVE - getting one of those cheesy mugs or shirts or hats some day that say "world's greatest dad" but only if my daughter really thinks i'm the best dad in the world. and i hope she does because i intend to be the world's best daddy to my beautiful baby girl.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. 1, signing off.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Mike,

That's a great story, and I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you two.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The day honors Fathers (or Mothers last month) and is plural. Kind of like Veterans Day. That's the way I see it, at least.

Anyone got their stylebook handy?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thanks, Jake. Same here.

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

I love my Dad. He's more a drinking buddy, a cigar-smoking and golf accomplice, and you know what? That's the way I think I always wanted it to be. After a long period where I didn't know him -- crazy circumstances growing up -- I've got to understand the guy. And he's just as much of a flawed, grizzled old guy that I imagined he was. Pretty happy that we're so close, and if he lives a good 20 more years, I'll be even happier.

Draft saved Draft deleted