1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father, teacher of year: 41 yo ditches family when student girlfriend turns 18

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 1, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He can score good drugs?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a swim meet I covered about 15 years ago. District championship. The place was packed. Total chaos, though actually it wasn't that hard to cover once you figured out how things worked.

I knew another guy who was covering it and it was his first time there. He was struggling to keep up between getting results and interviews. We see a group of girls walk by. He turns to me and says, "I'm so busy struggling with the things I have to pay attention to that I can't pay attention to the things I want to pay attention to."

I don't even want to know what went through his head once he realized what was going on any time a bunch of girls would surround a teammate and hold up towels so no one could see her.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Roll Tide.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At my first full-time stop, when I was still young and dashing, among the sports I had to cover (writing and photos both) were girls gymnastics and swimming.

Oh my.

In the 1980s the predominant swimsuit style was black or navy blue spandex. When that stuff is wet, they step out of the pool, and you take a flash picture, well, the suit kinda ... goes away. :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, pictures for the newspaper had to be very strategically selected for what was showing and what wasn't.

In gymnastics, of course, everything shows. Some people said, "well big deal, elite-level gymnasts look like they're 11 years old." Which was true. What was also true was that most of the 11-year-old types were off competing for their elite clubs -- they didn't mess with HS gymnastics. The girls who were doing gymnastics for their high schools were the ones who couldn't keep that 20-30 pounds or so off that made them look like, well, not 11-year-olds.

I was doing a story once on a girl who was pushing for the school record in the balance beam (and the all-around). In like 6 meets in a row, she came up like 0.2 points short of the school record. I did a feature on her, you know, your normal senior-spotlight feature, and was talking to her about getting the school record.

I said, "what do you think you'll have to do to get that record?" She said, "I don't know if I can. I'm too top-heavy. It throws me off balance."

Wisely, I kind of very vaguely nodded and said, absently "Hmmm, I dunno. I'm not any kind of gymnastics guru so I couldn't really say."

She said, "well, my coaches say I need to lose about 10 more pounds to get that record. I've already lost 15 since the beginning of the season. You see any extra weight on me?"

Well, I had ventured down that minefield before in other venues, so I was going to be very very careful. By now she was giggling; she knew I was looking for the nearest fire escape.

Thing was, the parents of BOTH the swimming and gymnastics teams continually carped to Mr. Publisher, "boys basketball and football get photos every game, why don't we get photos too," plus they both competed at venues less than 400 yards from our office, so I was under orders from Mr. Publisher to go shoot as many of their meets as possible.

So there I was, a healthy male in his mid 20s, spending considerable time every week focusing my cameras very tightly on high school girls in outfits as skimpy as it's possible to be, and everybody involved -- the girls, their parents, and my boss -- was pleased as all hell about it.

Anyway, good sense triumphed and I avoided making an entry in the 1980s version of the Poin Files.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's never been a male teacher in the poin files.

6. Starman

Well, whatever. I took Bruce Springsteen's advice to heart, "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This one may not have been his first (no, not like that!):

http://www.modbee.com/2012/04/06/2147032/modesto-police-arrest-ex-enochs.html

8. Starman

WAY WRONG ANSWER.

He's lucky the judge didn't jack it up to $500,000.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And now, no one to come home to. Them dominoes, they be falling:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/04/06/2790936/ca-ex-teacher-arrested-for-sex.html#storylink=omni_popular

Draft saved Draft deleted