1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father of Reaganomics: impeach Bush and Cheney now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I have to believe that Americans finally see Bush for what he is. I think if we were to get attacked again, Americans would blame Bush for not doing more about Al-Qaeda instead of spending his time on Iraq.
    It's like during the last election when Republicans were arguing that Bin Laden wanted Kerry to win.
    My response was, "Sure, he wants the five-time medal winner who has vowed to go get him in office. Not the guy who had daddy pull strings to get him out of service and then, less than a year after 9/11, said he didn't care where Bin Laden was. The guy who cared much more about getting Sadaam than the one who actually did attack our country."

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you want to make the intellectually serious argument for impeachment, ala Bruce Fein, go ahead. I don't necessarily agree, but I am willing to hear you out.

But to hold up this article as anything other than the LaRouche-like rantings of a man who had clearly is hysterical and delusional is either intellectually dishonest or intellectually deficient. Here is a handy tip for you: anytime a writer compares Bush to Hitler without a trace of irony, you are dealing with someone whose views are not worthy of discussion.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, there is that and also to call him the Father of Reaganomics (Arthur Lafer, Murray Weidenbaum, Martin Anderson, David Stockman and Paul Volcker would laugh at that contention) or to claim he is representative of the Republican party is a giant leap.

But the overall point of the thread--that Bush is incredibly unpopular--certainly holds true.

4. My teeth, apparently, were right to itch.

5. i'm as anti-bush as it gets, but i thought that article was a bit too hysterical for my liking..

However, IF bush were to ever decide to cancel the 08 elections and become supreme ruler of the world, who would stop him? This is a serious question--aside from some protests/riots, etc, we'd be helpless against it. He's already gotten away with so much shit that he'll never be held accountable for, so what makes any of us think we'd be able to do anythng about this? I'm not saying it will ever happen, but don't kid yourselves, if it did, we're too apathetic of a nation to do anything about it. he knows this...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some protests, my ass. It would start a second civil war.

7. yeah right--we're too busy with our iphones, US weekly's and American Idol to do anything about it. I have no doubt that there would be a lot of hand wringing and protests, but zero chance that an organized movement would do anything about it.

bush's actions to date would be enough to get his ass thrown out of power in the 60s and 70s...those days are long gone

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

First off, I'll second Bubbler's motion that this is hysterical bullshit. But for the sake of Message Board Masturbation, let's say it got tried ...

* Someone made the point earlier about the military. I don't see a whole lot of regulars who'd be thrilled with the thought of helping out the guys who've extended their overseas time, have them policing a civil war, etc.

* Yeah, we've got iPhones, US Weekly and American Idol. But there's a whole lot of us armed to the fucking teeth, too, and if you think a civil war in Baghdad is rough, imagine if the same thing was tried in any American town -- clearing out the snipers alone would take months at a time in EVERY town.

* Back to original point, though: This isn't going to happen. I've never met a politician who's hungry for permanent power -- all I've ever met is the kind hungry for permanent wealth. We're about 17 months from sending abunch of these guys away, rich and happy, into the sunset, and hopefully we'll never hear from 'em again.

9. The army would not go for this. Not the rank and file. Not for a second.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It's a moot point anyways. Cheney, who is the biggest force behind the expansion of executive power, is not pushing for more executive power so he and Bush can be Supreme co-Leaders. He has believed in the expansion of executive power since his days in the Ford administration. Had Hillary Clinton expanded executive power the way Bush/Cheney has, most GOPers would be howling like feral dogs during a full moon. But I suspect that Cheney would have thought it was a good thing for executive power. I suspect that if the 44th President decides to swim in B/C's wake and maintain the claims of executive power, Cheney will consider it a positive development, regardless of who that 44th President is. If Bush was going to consolidate power and declare himself Supreme Leader, he would have done it in the wake of 9/11.

And the idea that we are toddlers who will just blindly sit by and let Bush cancel the 2008 elections is seriously mis-reading the American people. Have the American people let Bush get away with some bullshit? Definitely. But he has approval ratings that are below the presidential Mendoza line and roughly 40% of the country thinks it would be a good idea if Congress started impeachment hearings. He has no political currency to rally Congress to pass any legislation he has introduced. If Bush did this, we would see wall-to-wall news coverage that would make the circus surrounding the Florida recounts look like a college campus protest rally.

This "Bush will cancel the 2008 elections and declare himself President for the foreseeable future" is exactly the kind of conspiracy theory tripe that was talked about by the intellectual heirs of the John Birch Society at this time in 1999. I heard several conservative people tell me they suspected Clinton was going to do the same thing. It was just as laughable now as it was then.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is why I love the town where I live: Takoma Park, Maryland.

On Monday, the city council will consider a resolution to ask Maryland congressional representatives to begin impeachment proceedings against the president.

Draft saved Draft deleted