1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father finds man abusing 4-year-old daughter, does what any of us would do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not unless they are Lesbian lookalikes and get hit on by Geno Auriemma....

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, you are willing to murder somebody for stealing property even if they posed no threat at all to your physical well being and that of your family. You just don't want to admit it, so you play your usual rhetorical games.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

One less criminal in the streets.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Says the guy willing to commit murder over a television.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You a religious man?

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not every law is centuries old fyi.

The definition of manslaughter and the right to protect yourself and your family changes from country to country, state to state and year to year. Laws change. Look at Florida with the stand your ground stuff.

I am not taking one side or another in this threads debate (could honestly careless about the pissing match) but to say a law is law and it must thus be right is wrong. Our society would never have progressed past slavery, women's rights, civil rights ... etc. with that line of thinking.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It's funny how someone can talk so much about the degradation of society, and in the same breath trivialize something as serious as taking a human life. Says a lot about people I suppose.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, agreed.

But this particular doctrine - when it is OK to use deadly force to protect your property and when it is not - is pretty universal and firmly rooted in the development of the English common law. Like I said in one of the posts above, though it might have gotten lost in the tide, there are certainly variations across jurisdictions, even when it comes to the most traditional of traditional laws. And, no, just because a law has a long history doesn't necessarily make it right. But it makes it worth a long look. And it's certainly not fair to dismiss it as the handiwork of modern, "bed-wetting, liberal pinhead" politicians.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

My cousin stole someone's TV once, so we took him out back and shot him like Ol' Yeller. I mean, once someone steals, what's the use, right? Pain in the ass when people steal things; I've found Fantastik gets blood off the tile best, though.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Zagoshe still hasn't told us if he can vote, own a gun, or own property? We'd all like to know.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's the other guy.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Laws against murder are the oldest we have.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Ur-Nammu

Draft saved Draft deleted