1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father finds man abusing 4-year-old daughter, does what any of us would do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can Zagoshe vote, own a gun, or own property?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The rule of law, even when we may disagree with its application in a certain case, which is bound to happen when you have to apply general legal standards to unpredictable real-world situations, is one of the major facets of humanity that separates us from the animals. I respect it a great deal. I have little interest living in Zag's - and he's not the only one here who shares his revenge fantasy wet dreams - freewheeling Lord of the Flies wild rumpus.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm glad we've moved on from wergeld and blood feuds. Some places have not, which is why I'm glad I wasn't born in Albania.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And you are full of shit.

Yeah, I'm sure you NEVER left your daughter in the house taking a nap or watching TV when you were out in the yard, or out to get mail or out back to fix something and your wife was at the store getting groceries or something.

Please, I have kids, I know what is realistic and what is not and what you are pedaling is bullshit.

I don't care how overprotective you are, there are times when your kids are out of your sight even if it is only for a few minutes.

5. Dick Whitman

My kid locked himself in the bathroom last night. I've never been so scared in entire fucking life, even though it was just for a few seconds.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Agree that the story is murky however I don't think it is irresponsible to leave a 4 year old alone. I have a 4 year old daughter and she will routinely go into our house by herself when we are all outside. We also let her walk to see her friends next door and across the street where they will play in our neighbor's basement without any direct adult supervision in the same room.

If this story checks out and this scum was abusing the daughter I hope he felt a lot of pain as he was beat to death.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have plenty of respect for the law.

But the law of nature comes first and that is if you fuck with a man's family, property or livelihood you get a bullet in your ass and we don't feel sorry for you, even a little.

I work every fucking day to provide for my family - if some lazy dickbag wants to try and steal what I've worked to earn and I shoot him in the process, fuck him and fuck his family, too.

8. Dick Whitman

The gulf between you and I is that I don't believe in a "law of nature." Neither, for what it's worth, do the vast majority of contemporary legal and moral philosophers.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not sure who the vast majority of contemporary legal and moral philosophers are but at some point it boils down to a pretty basic level where reality supersedes philosophy.

Killing someone for stealing my property is probably not an area I would go but I think with a vast majority of people if you mess with their family then you absolutely get what is coming to you in terms of jungle justice.

I know in the past you have may have posted that you think that there is something redeemable in everyone (sincere apologies if I am misconstruing your words) but at some level there are those people who deserve to die for what they have done.

10. Dick Whitman

No, you don't misconstrue my words at all. I do believe that. I also have acknowledged, though I'm a staunch opponent of the death penalty for that very reason, that there are studies that show it has a demonstrable deterrent fact (and, of course, other, contradictory studies that show it does not). And that's not even to mention the punishment justification that you bring up, which is certainly legitimate.

When I say that I don't believe in a "law of nature," I don't mean that I don't believe in human nature, per se. Certainly people have impulses and reactions hard-wired into their psyche. I'm sure that's one reason, along with the practical considerations, that protecting one's home by any means necessary is a legally supportable action. What I mean is that I don't believe in "natural law," the idea that there are actions that are by their very nature intrinsically, divinely immoral. I think that we make law to shape the society that we desire.

11. Dick Whitman

Regardless, I digress.

When I wade into these kinds of threads is when I end up getting myself in trouble on here.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was she ever out of sight? In another room in the house? Yes. I never said otherwise.

Did my wife and I ever leave her in the house alone? Never. Just because you couldn't manage it doesn't mean it isn't realistic. You have no idea what my wife and I have or have not done in the raising of our child, but being clueless has never stopped you before, so I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't holding you back now.

Let me be clear. I'm not saying that my way is is or was right. I'm not blaming this guy for what happened to his daughter. I'm just talking about what I was comfortable with when my daughter was that age.

Draft saved Draft deleted