1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fate of Rocky Mountain News to be announced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Feb 26, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good to see B.G. on his feet. Mentioned this earlier on the same thread, but when I was out in Denver watching the Rockies in the 2007 playoffs my higher-ups said as long as we have two local athletes at Colorado why don't I interview them as long as I'm out there? Talked to B.G. for about 30 minutes while he was waiting for his interviews. GREAT guy.

I liked both papers when I visited out there, but I especially LOVED the RMN.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always thought Butch was one of the five best college writers in the country. It's a crime that ESPN has hired some of the bloggers they have and Butch is working for a university.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Butch is a great, great guy. Lots of great people.

Damn, two years ago tonight, putting out the last edition of a nearly 150-year-old paper. Time sure does fly. Lots of remembrances on Facebook tonight.

4. MileHigh

So, 31 months after the Rocky closed, big announcement out here today.

http://pressreleases.scripps.com/release/1224

Yup, after going into the fetal position, Scripps buys up nine McGraw-Hill TV stations today ... for $212 million in cash. And one of those stations is the ABC affiliate in Denver.

And Scripps boss Dick Boehne, last seen in these parts feigning heart-felt disappointment at shutting down a 150-year-old institution and so forth talked with the Denver Post tonight.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19031885

Money quote: "We're eager to be in Denver. Obviously it's a market we know really well, a market where we love being in the news business."

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can we get video on that to see if his nose was growing?

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Is he going by Dick Boehne now? I always thought he was Rich. Or did you just give him a new nickname?

7. MileHigh

He's had it for a few years out here. That or Rich Boner. Many others as well.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

fuckabunchascripps....

9. MileHigh

So this was greeted 200 whacked ex-Rocky folks this morning in the Denver Post. Well, maybe the 10 that take the Post.

[​IMG]

And, yes, it's a Post house ad.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that I recently read "Nothing Daunted" about two young society women who went West in 1916 to teach school in northwest Colorado and the Rocky Mountain News was mentioned repeatedly.

Made me think of this thread every time.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I saw the subject line and, for a fraction of a second, perhaps intentionally blanking on history, hoping against hope, ever the dreamer, the hopeless romantic, I thought ...

Sigh.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I still have the copy of the last issue MH sent me in my desk. And then I saw him (or someone else) post something about this on Facebook ...

Draft saved Draft deleted