1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fate of Rocky Mountain News to be announced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a sad day. I enjoyed reading the RMN before my newspaper days on my two-hour bus commute to downtown Denver from the foothills.

And here's the twitter feed of the funeral.

http://twitter.com/RMN_Newsroom

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This scares the hell out of me. This should scare the hell out of all of us.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if The Denver Post will hire any of them. Even as much as they're cutting, I would think they might find room for a few.

Maybe that's too optimistic.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

chilling:

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I'm speechless. Got a couple of really good friends who've been there for years. Don't even know what to say.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

FWIW. I have friends in Denver already lining up to buy the last copy. Maybe that's a way to increase sales and interest: Announce the end of the world.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It should. But it should be noted that two-paper towns aren't the norm. I'd be scared as shit if I was in Seattle. But I don't think we're at the point where single newspapers in major markets are going to go down. Yet.

From what I hear, the Post just moved into a new building, which the RMN was helping to fund as part of the JOA. Now, the Post has to foot the entire bill by itself.

This move is kind of a financial kick in the nuts for the Post, as well.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Unbelievable.

Sad day for everyone. My condolences to all.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

My god. MH and everyone there, good luck and god bless.

I don't know if I want to be here in a couple weeks when this scene replays in Seattle. Deadline's ticking for the P-I.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

God damn, I hate this business. Love newspapers. Love writing and editing. Love journalism. But this business is soul crushing.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow.

I'm tempted to send a letter giving Scripps and all the bean counters hell for what they've done to our industry.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My original paper, The Richmond News Leader, folded in 1992. Actually, we "merged" with the Times-Dispatch but got absorbed is a better word. Only nine layoffs. That was tough enough, watching your paper die but at least we had a place to go the next day. We were just working for another paper, same desk in the same building.

I can't imagine the kick in the olives of suddenly having no paper, no place to go. Just boom - ONE MORE EDITION and we're done.
    Wow. Fucking Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted