1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fat assets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Dec 22, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What's wrong with using the word "ideal"? I believe people should strive for ideals.

And I believe there is an ideal economic system that is extremely efficient and offers everyone equality of opportunity to succeed. I believe that in the aggregate, that system produces more prosperity than any other system. Feel free to disagree. I'll try to make a rational argument supporting my beliefs, if you'd like.

I wish we had that ideal system. I don't think we do--we have clumsy regulation and barriers which prevent free enterprise, and we have all kinds of corrupt practices that prevent us from having that ideal. And people suffer as a result. I also think we have more elements of the ideal system operting freely, than any place in the world. And given that, I'm not surprised that economically, we are the strongest country in the world.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What's wrong with using the word "ideal" is -- who is it ideal for?

Two percent of the world owns half the wealth -- is that ideal to you?
    One percent of this country owns 90% of the wealth -- is that ideal to you?

Yes, I agree that we haven't found a better system yet. But to say that this is the best we can do, just because other ones in the past have failed? I think that's a bit narrow-sighted.

Or do you fail to see that the middle class in this country has been shrinking for years -- that the "envy" of the world is a myth -- that the "American dream" is a myth -- and that "equality of opportunity" is a myth?

3. The Big Ragu

I'm not sure what you are arguing or even who you are arguing with. Nope, two percent of the world owning half the wealth isn't ideal to me. Not sure what that has to do with anything I said. And I'm not going to even bother responding to someone who isn't taking the time to actually read what I'm typing.

4. The Big Ragu

Huh? The ideal economic system I am talking about is one where all means of production are privately owned, there are no barriers to entry for anyone (i.e. equality of opportunity) and all markets are free and open (i.e. equality of opportunity ) to everyone. How exactly does that NOT offer equality of opportunity to everyone? The whole basis for what I am talking about is that it offers equality of opportunity for anyone who works hard to succeed. That is what the "free and open" part means. Anyone can come in and if they have something to offer, the marketplace rewards them for it. It's predicated on equality of opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted