1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast Times at Ridgemont High alert!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The charisma of Robin Zander, Rick Neilsen...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't understand these test scores. We spent all week talking about the Platt Amendment. What are you people, on dope?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Slow down, boys. These quotes are like Mike Damone in that scene: getting really excited really fast, and coming way too early. Movie's barely at the rat-Stacy date.

I seek a consensus from the board on the following question:

Damone tells Rat to put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV (which of course includes Stairway to Heaven, which only gets you laid if you actually have game already, which I found out in high school, much to my chagrin). Then the movie cuts t them in the car listening to Kashmir, which is of course from side two of Physical Graffiti.

The question:

1. was this unintended? Is it, as my brother says, "a minor flaw in the movie"?

2. Or was this intended, to show just what a dork Ratner is, that he tried and failed to get the suggested music right?

3. Or is it only uber-dorks like me who notice crap like this? (those who hadn't noticed before, plese answer with your thought).

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Do you have any Blue Oyster Cult?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I love how Stacy so clearly wants it from Ratner. Like she just can't wait to have sex again. And the look on his face after he zips down her dreess. Classic.

In the book, when he turns around and the light goes off, Crowe writes of a voice in rat's head letting him know "YOU BLEW IT, ASSHOLE!!!!!!!"

And I am ashamed that have yet to buy the soundtrack. Every former Eagle had a song on it . . . . .

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Many have noted this before you, so you're far from alone.

Since Crowe certainly knows his music, I'm guessing there were legal (or some other) reasons for it.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think originally it was an overlooked mistake. But then it sort of became an example of how Ratner wasn't quite on top of his game, and now it gets laughs for a multitude of reasons.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I can't believe we've gotten this far with no mention of Damone's five-point plan. Hey, men have died trying to obtain this valuable information.

1. Never let on to a girl how much you like her. "Oh, Debbie, Hi."

2. You always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it."

3. Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?"

4. When ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the Linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice."

5. This is the most important. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on Side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember in 1985 or '86 buying the two-record soundtrack and then getting it on a cassette tape so I could play it in my car. I don't think it came out of the tape deck for months. I am now proud to say I own the CD and it's also on my iPod. What a great fricking soundtrack.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Totally underrated scene...

Mr. Vargas: "Hey, are you in my class?"

Spicoli: "I am today!"

Vargas: "Yes, Greg?"

Greg: "Who are these guys?"

Vargas: "Most of them are derelicts. They sold their bodies to medicine for money. About 30 dollars, I think?"

Pathologist: "Twenty-five."

Spicoli: "Righteous bucks!"

Vargas: "This gentleman here is named Arthur. Arthur was good enough to die last week of heart failure. We are fortunate today to view his body in its pristine state. Here an incision has been made. The ribs have been sawed off, allowing us to remove the breastplate and really observe the human organs as they exist in their natural state. Here we have the human lungs, and here is the human heart" (holds it up like a trophy) "which, as you can see, is actually located in the centre of the chest."

Spicoli: "Ohhh, gnarly!!"

I've also always liked the scene where the kids in Mr. Hand's class sniff the alcohol off the test papers - brings back fond memories of quick, school-endorsed highs.... ;D

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Raised On The Radio" should have been a massive fucking hit that summer. It's just a great, great song.

Oh yeah, and who among us, when smitten by a girl, hasn't bought $40 worth of fucking film at a Fotomat (do they still exist?) even though they don't own a camera?

Draft saved Draft deleted