1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast, easy and cheap (foods)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Taco Soup: Brown a pound of ground beef (or turkey) with some chopped onions. Drain it then add the following (do not drain any of the canned items): 2 cans of beans, a can of corn, two cans of tomatoes, a package of taco seasoning mix and a package of ranch dressing mix. Simmer for 30 minutes.

The best part is that you can basically use whatever canned stuff you have on hand, which helps if you stock up on canned goods when they are on sale. For the beans, I use Ranch-style, kidney or pinto. And you can change the flavor and spiciness of it by using beans with jalapenos, with onions, whatever you like. And on the tomatoes, same thing: I used stewed, Rotel, chopped, diced, whatever combination I have in the cabinet.

And, it just gets better with time in the refrigerator. And it freezes well.

And if there are any vegetarians out there, I have made this with lots of success using the Morning Star crumbles. Cook the crumbles just like you would the ground beef. As a matter of fact, more than once, I have passed off veggie taco soup as containing meat and no one ever knew the difference.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I actually made that exact taco soup recipe last night, Liesl. Seriously easy, healthy and delicious.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's awesome.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This is true. Use ground turkey and I dare someone to tell the difference between that and fatty ground beef.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Same thing with chili. In fact, turkey chili is better, IMO. And if you can't make a tasty chili, you suck at life.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I use extra lean ground beef. Tastes awesome and no more Weight Watchers point than the ground turkey.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, I think we have to differentiate actual cooking from throwing pre-packaged shit into a microwave.

Old Tony has the right idea with his chicken thighs--well, in his case it has to be "right"

I think someone mentioned a pork shoulder in a crock pot with BBQ sauce. Brain dead simple but it's even better (most crock recipes are) if you brown the shoulder first.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just for the record, don't put the BBQ sauce on the shoulder roast until after it's cooked in the crockpot. I made that mistake the first time I made it.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why?

If you put the sauce in while it's cooking the meat soaks up the sauce.

Sorry, but dumping BBQ sauce on the meat after it has finished cooking doesn't enhance the flavour

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Burned the sauce.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would not cook it in the sauce, either. I would like to taste primarily pork, with sauce as an enhancement.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. I may not have any idea how to cook, but I know how to eat barbecue. The sauce goes on after. You use dry rub and, if you really want a gold star, flavor injections before cooking.

I've helped smoke a pork shoulder before but never done it or seen it done in a crock pot. Do you literally just put the meat (with the rub) in the crock pot and let it go?

Draft saved Draft deleted