1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast, easy and cheap (foods)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Beer: A sandwich in every can.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You eat the same thing for lunch every day? That sounds awesome.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Those HRI pizzas are quite good.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I live an exciting life. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of wraps, whether it's cold ones like any sub sandwich-type thing, chicken caesar wraps with sliced chicken breast, or microwaved ones with chicken breast and buffalo sauce, and chicken or steak with sauteed peppers and onions, rice, sour cream and salsa for a fajita wrap. Those are insanely easy and fast to make.

On the mac-and-cheese front, it sounds horrible but I am in love with making a box of cheap mac-and-cheese and adding in a whole, undrained can of baked beans. Phenomenal combo.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mac and Cheese mixed in with Chef Boyardee Ravioli...

My kids love it and their parents like it as well...

7. JackReacher

I could probably live off cereal for at least a week. Maybe two.

Might be a good plan between paychecks sometime if you're struggggggggaling.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My latest (somewhat healthy) quick meal: Triscuit thin crisps + hummus + Cabot extra sharp cheddar.

9. JackReacher

Ritz crackers and Cracker Barrell brand sharp cheddar cheesse. Maybe with a sliced jalapeno on top. So silly.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I make it a goal to eat on $100 a month, so I'm pretty limited in choice. But really the cheapest and easiest meal (albeit not fast) is to buy a butternut squash for $2, slice it in half, put it in the oven for an hour and eat the thing. Filling, really good, healthy and it's $2.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cook in bulk. It's cheap, healthier than than processed garbage that's just mainlining salt into your veins, and it averages out to a minimal time commitment.

$7 pork shoulder roast, $2 worth of barbecue sauce, crockpot = A dozen or more meals worth of BBQ pulled pork that you quickly microwave.

About twice a month I'll make a gigantic batch of spaghetti on the same idea.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When I was younger and poorer, there was always a supermarket with spaghetti and jars/cans of sauce on sale. A coupon on either or both was an incredible bonus. I could eat for days on less than $5.

I also lived near a store that had blowout prices on any leftover cooked chicken in the hour before closing time. Discovered it by accident once, then made it a habit to get there about 30 minutes before closing time. I was ready to cry on the days when they'd sold out at full price and had no leftovers.

Draft saved Draft deleted