1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast and Furious: The Growing ATF Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would be great if people did some basic research on Fast and Furious before stating Holder helped start it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who needs research when Fox News can tell you all you need to know?

Obama is stealing your guns to give to mexcin drug dealers so they will come back and kill your pretty white daughters with those guns so you will vote for gun control. It is really quite simple.

3. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

I'd hazard to say I've done as much, maybe more research than you on this issue, but since I don't know you personally I can't say that categorically. You are so blinded by ideology you refuse to look at both sides. So, you think some numnut in Phoenix, all on his own conceived of and implemented Fast and Furious. Com'on man, use some common sense. A project like this is never going to just happen on its own. Did you even read McCarthy's piece? I'd guess probably not because it does not fit into your world view. And, you, Starman, you have no idea what I do and don't read. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Politico, Media Matters, News Busters, National Review, countless blogs, both from the Right and Left, are all part of my regular reading. Why? Because one side does not have a stranglehold on the truth. The truth, as is often the case, often resides somewhere in the middle. It's up to intelligent, open-minded people to do the research and try to come up with the truth, if it can be found.
    Stitch, if you truly believe Holder had no knowledge whatsoever of Fast Furious from really early on I'd like to smoke some of what you are smoking. Did I castigate Holder for lying? No, I simply pointed out he could have defused this entire situation by simply admitting the obvious. But I still contend Brian Terry's death immensely complicated the situation, and that's sad on many levels.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The program started during the Bush administration, so that's how I'm formulating my opinion of "early on." Michael Mukasey didn't know, either.

5. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

So my question is if a program similar to Fast and Furious began in the Bush administration, wouldn't the new people in the DOJ when Obama took over been briefed on operations such as the one the Bush administration tried? You could argue it wasn't worthy of Holder's knowledge because the top of an organization doesn't necessarily know everything that happens in his or her organization. But I still believe well before he admitted it Holder was told all about Fast and Furious

A June 23 Christian Science Monitor story takes a pretty even-handed look at the Fast and Furious controversy. It concludes with a salient observation:

"But while the political lines around Fast and Furious are thus clearly drawn, allusions to Watergate-sized conspiracy theories do, at the very least, also help bolster Issa’s central point: If only to quell such theories, Americans deserve to know whether it was really a hapless bureaucratic blunder or whether administration officials lied about the extent of their involvement in what became a deadly scandal."

So what is it, "hapless bureaucratic blunder or the administration lying? I think Holder was part of the hapless bureaucratic blunder, but that's just my opinion because I don't have any primary-source knowledge which I can use as facts to back up my claim. But neither does anyone else on this board who claim otherwise.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The Ignore button is a magical transporter to conversational civility.

Hapless bureaucratic blunder is about where I fall on the whole thing, though I also don't know anymore than what's been in the published reports. My suspicion is that Holder should have been far more aware of it than he was, but I doubt the Attorney General pays attention to every investigation every agency he's supposed to be monitoring is involved in. Until it blows up, which this one did.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

House votes to hold Eric Holder in criminal contempt:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/28/house-eric-holder-contempt-vote-fast-furious-probe/

Holder might be the most incompetent AG that the we've ever had.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised some accommodation wasn't made - particularly in light of the HCR ruling not being known. Could have been a real bad day at the WH - would have thought they would have wanted this in the rearview mirror. I don't know where it goes from here, but I figure whatever happens, Holder won't be part of a second term.

9. Starman

So soon we forget Ashcroft and Gonzales.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Issa posing in front of a poster of the dead uniformed agent was a nice poltical touch.

11. Starman

Was he wearing a Batman outfit?

Do car thieves wear uniforms now?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No kidding. Someone please let me know when Mr. Holder covers the breasts of the statutes in the Rotunda.

Draft saved Draft deleted