1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast and Furious: The Growing ATF Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I predict this thing will be over before the entire House votes next week. Its one thing for Issa to keep this thing going, I figure Boehner will want to make sure that there is more than a bottle of wine in the vault before he breaks out the sledgehammers on live TV.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Considering the operation was hatched before Obama was President, I have a hard time believing it was a conspiracy for Obama to take away guns.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When Darrell Issa is involved, it's hard to consider -- ever -- that there's anything to it beyond politics.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As opposed to Barrack Obama, Eric Holder, or any other politician and/or political appointee?

Who headed up the Congressional investigations into President Bush's White House? Non-partisan folks?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Darrell Issa has a particular bent toward getting the other guys. There is well-established historical precedent.

Your false equivalencies have been particularly dishonest lately.

6. DanOregon

I do think this is standard GOP protocol - if there is no evidence of something, that is proof that something is being hidden or covered up.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

8. DanOregon

Actually - with the Dems, if there is proof of something, it is proof that there is a conspiracy to set the Dems up to make them look bad.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When have Democrats demanded to see birth certificates?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Democrats coined the term "the seriousness of the allegation" years ago.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

To me, this whole "Fast and Furious" fiasco comes down to why did Holder lie about knowing about it. Andrew McCarthy, a former federal prosecutor with ample inside baseball knowledge, wrote an excellent piece on how a program like Fast and Furious comes about. The bottom line: A program like Fast and Furious does not happen without the knowledge and approval of the top people at the top of the DOJ. In this case, that's Eric Holder. Why didn't Holder in the beginning just come out and admit it was a flawed program hatched in Phoenix and run up the flagpole to D.C. and subsequently implemented. He could have told Congress we thought we could make something good come out of it. We were wrong. What complicates this whole mess for Holder was the death of Brian Terry and the subsequent revelation that the gun used to kill him was part of the Fast and Furious program. Right there is when the cover-up, if you want to call it that, began. I don't think it was as much a cover-up as serious attempts to cover their asses. Those nuts on the Far Right claiming it was some kind of conspiracy by the Obama administration to make a move on gun rights are crazy. Charles Krauthammer on one of the hundreds of talking head shows insisted there was no conspiracy, only idiocy, from those involved, and I think he got it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted