1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast and Furious: The Growing ATF Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

By that standard, Obama is the most scrupulous president in modern times. This is the first time he's using executive privilege to shield documents.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."
    / Barack Obama Inauguration speech.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Now all you need to do is find some corruption, deceit or silencing of dissent.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Darrell Issa is a deplorable example of a lot of what I feel is wrong with Congress. Just in general, nothing to do with this. Which makes anything he does very hard to not hate.

That said, I still think the administration should release the documents. And Holder needs to be done. Not just for this, which I don't think in an of itself should be the singular thing get him ousted, but his time at the DoJ has been a series of facepalms. He is not doing a good job, particularly I think when it comes to the way the DoJ has argued so many cases during his tenure, though that's less sexy to get fired up about. I don't think he'll go until after the election, though. This is all political gamesmanship right now.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe I'd take this a little more seriously if the GOP hadn't flat-out announced four years ago that their sole goal was to take out Obama.

The constant shrieking and crying wolf tends to fall on deaf ears after a while, even when they may seem like they have a good reason.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

And the need to defend against the constant shrieking is, at least in part, a reason Holder is still in his position.

It's circular and dysfunctional and my sympathies are more with the administration than not, but I can't find it in me to defend Eric Holder after his performance these last few years.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Clearly there is something to hide or they would release the documents. The seriousness of the allegation pretty much demands they come clean yet they refuse to do so.

I seem to recall President Obama The Messiah© promising that his administration would be the most transparent in history. So much for that.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Bad logic makes the Messiah sad.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I copyrighted that. You don't have permission to use it...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe something to hide or something to throw Republicans off their game and control news cycle with something other than the bad economy.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily part of the get-Obama-at-all-costs crowd, but it's been pretty clear for a while that Eric Holder has been a train wreck of major proportions as AG, and should have been fired months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted