1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating NYT Mag piece on junk food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 1, 2013.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

*headdesk*

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bacon-wrapped buttered corn on the cob sounds pretty good.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hard for me to understand how people can get out of bed at the ungodly hour of 4 am to run for an hour ... and then blow it by eating a first meal out of a bag from a manufacturer.

Why not (a) eat first (as most contemporary research says is the most healthy -- eat a large dose of protein within 30 minutes of waking up, for a number of nutritional and bio-mechanical reasons) (b) eat healthy (i.e., eggs) and then run for the other 45 minutes?

And while articles like the one from the OP like to (correctly) blame big industry for our health woes...big medicine and big science/academia shouldn't get a pass...

The bottom line is that our bodies are not designed to eat grain...but they are very much designed to eat processed foods...namely, molecules of nutrients pre-processed by nature's original food factory: animals below us on the food chain. Cows have 4 compartments within their stomach precisely to process grain; humans, OTOH, have decided we'd rather use our energy powering our brains and not our stomachs so over the millennia we've designed ourselves to let other animals do the macro-nutrient processing for us.

To learn more about all of this, research the "Wheat Belly" book mentioned above, or read anything from http://garytaubes.com/ or http://www.fatburningman.com/

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is nonsense and it is based on myth.

Quantify the "so much less nutritional value than pretty much any other vegetable."

People should just eat real food. They shouldn't be choosing foods based on their perceived notions of nutritional value. But even if you really do try to engineer your diet that way, corn is a grain. Grains are good for you. It is a good source of dietary fiber. It has high water content, which means it fills you up pretty quickly without you overeating. It is a source of protein, carbohydrates, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, potassium and folate -- all nutritional elements. And it is filled with phytochemicals. ... lutein, which promotes eye health, and zeaxanthin, an antioxidant that is believed to prevent the growth of cancerous cells.

Nobody should be breaking down foods that way, and trying to plan a diet based on nutritional elements. This is one way people have been hurting themselves. But a statement, first, about corn having "little nutritional value" and then arguing further that it has "much less nutritional value than pretty much any other vegetable," is the product of marketing campaigns, myth or junk science at best, and ignorance, at worst.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Gotta be something in here, right? The good news about frozen foods is that they need no preservatives.

www.theorganicbistro.com

www.wildharvestorganic.com/servlets/productList?categoryId=19

www.planetorganics.com/organic-frozen-food.html

www.cedarlanefoods.com

www.amys.com/products

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

You are aware, of course, that we really don't digest corn. It's why you pass actual corn kernels out your ass, undigested.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You don't digest the outer shells of corn kernels. Our digestive enzymes can't break them down. But most of the internal nutrients are broken down and absorbed into your bloodstream. It is a source of protein, carbohydrates and a lot of vitamins and minerals.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This thread made me think of Stonewall Jackson. He was ahead of his time in regard to nutrition. Always carried fresh fruits and vegetables with him on the battlefield and ate little meat.

For his efforts he meet his demise by the way of friendly fire.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just saw a squirrel in my yard with a pinecone in tow. Think I will run out there and tear it out of that little bastard's hands and have a healthy snack.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like bacon.
    Bacon is good.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds good. And, yeah, corn is junk. And utrients are nutrients, vitamins are vitamins, no matter their source.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Corn is not "real food." And there is really no doubt that it's bad for you.

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/corn__it_s_what_s_bad_for_you.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted