1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating NYT Mag piece on junk food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Processed flour, fried chicken, biscuits and french fries are the staple of my diet.

I'm built like a jockey and haven't been sick since the 9th grade. I'm almost 52.

How did I survive?

Sometimes, it really is just genetics, exercising and staying away from the real killers (nicotine and alcohol).

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Pretty sure research still holds that moderate amounts of alcohol are healthy.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good, because I just finished a double of 18-year-old Johnny Walker.

4. How many grams of carbs? I have type-2 diabetes and can eat up to 45 grams of carbs per meal, according to my meal plan. I usually eat a English muffin with an egg, plus a small cup of juice. Lunches are usually a sandwich with vegetables to fill up. Still need to do better with dinner.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I take water with me anywhere I eat. This helps me avoid 1) the ginormous sugar drinks pushed at me everywhere; and b) paying the ginormous markups on any beverage, including iced tea. I'm just not gonna pay $1.79 or $2.79 for an iced tea.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You've been dead for 25 years but just don't know it yet.

7. dooley_womack1

And yes, corn has so much less nutritional value than pretty much any other vegetable. That's why pretty much any diet plan keeps you away from corn, at least for a while.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Ragu, Your devotion to good-eating is admirable, but I'm almost expecting you to yell at us that even eating gold is preferable to consuming a hot dog or a container of microwavable mac & cheese.

9. dooley_womack1

Only if they ate gold 150 years ago.

10. Songbird

At least corn has a hole named after it.

11. dooley_womack1

Is corn even kosher?

12. Songbird

Only the corn that doesn't chew its cud.

Draft saved Draft deleted