1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating NYT Mag piece on junk food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 1, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Chemical preservatives? Aside from the possible health risks they in themselves provide, they are part and parcel of everything we're talking about on this thread. They help food processors sell large quantities of calories that hook people (as in addicted), as cheaply as possible. In the original link, the Oscar Meyer Lunchables anecdote gave a taste of why things with chemical preservatives are inevitably bad for you. When they tried to create a Lunchables with fresh carrots, they quickly gave up, because the fresh component (i.e. real food) didn't work within the constraints of the processed-food system they operate in. It takes weeks or months of transport and storage before that pseudo-food -- which is really bad for you -- arrives at the grocery store. And it is a product built on taste and shelf life. The chemical preservatives (along with other chemical additives) go hand in hand with them being bad for you.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm gonna venture to say that something that keeps a food from going bad isn't a bad thing. And science has created foods, such as certain microwave dinners, that are often good nutrition people on the go often get.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Show your work . Give us a picture of ingredient label on a microwave dinner that offers good nutrition.

4. The Big Ragu

Preservatives in and of themselves are not bad things. People have been pickling, freezing, fermenting, smoking, drying, etc. REAL FOODS for centuries.

But when you see a list of things on a food label that you can't pronounce or that are unfamiliar, it is a very reliable sign that the thing has been highly processed to the point that what is in the package isn't what it purports to be.

Chemical preservatives -- the kinds we see in the types of foods that article was talking about -- are a pretty reliable indicator you are getting things that are not good for you. Industrial processing has filled supermarkets with things that have been processed in ways specifically designed to push the evolutionary buttons that article was talking about (sweetness, fat, salt and engineered to get you to overconsume).

You don't find those things easily in nature, which was our protection from them. But because of the chemicals additives that have become ubiquitous, including those chemical preservatives that allow long supply chain times and shelf lives that go on forever, they are in cans and boxes up and down every aisle of the supermarket. The processing induces people to consume things that were ecologically rare before those chemicals made them cheap. And that is the stuff that is bad for you. The salty, fatty, sugary, processed edible (but not real food) stuff.

You are so much better off finding stuff that will eventually rot. It's your insurance that it is real food. And the most full-proof way to do that is to avoid things with long lists of ingredients, ingredients that are unpronounceable or unfamiliar, things that were made in a plant and things with ingredients that you wouldn't keep in your pantry.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

An hour before the Super Bowl I opened a large bag of Cheese Puffs. Hadn't had any in about a year.

Started with one. Another. Another. Then two at a time. Two at a time. Three or four now, shoving them in.

I ate the entire bag in less than 5 minutes. It was really quite scary because there was no way I was *not* going to finish that bag right then and there. So kudos to them, I guess.

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Four years ago, I eliminated all alcohol, soda, fast foods and desserts for 15 months. I wanted to lose weight and get faster. Plan worked. I dropped from 183 pounds to 148 and set lifetime bests in every distance from the marathon to the mile. I was faster at 26 than I was at 17 (and I was relatively fast at 17). More important, I felt incredible. I felt like my body worked.

I would eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, lean meats and vegetables for lunch, protein for dinner. If I wanted a snack, I would build a fruit salad or make a bag of popcorn.

I need to get back to that. After reading this story last week, I think I will.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I will venture to say that being "addicted" to a food that's bad for you is a polite way of saying, "It tastes good to me and I have no fucking willpower to just walk away from the damn thing and eat something else."

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I think willpower is part of it. But I don't find it so hard to believe that food scientists have found combinations which trip neurochemical triggers.

Willpower is part of quitting smoking, too. How difficult it is varies with the biochemistry of the smoker. Why couldn't that be true of food, too?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To people who don't have addictive natures, the effect is probably overstated. And as I said, nutrition is nutrition whether it's harvested in a field or tweaked in a lab. There are plenty of processed foods that are made to be good for you. And you have stuff like corn that comes out of the ground and has little nutritional value. One just has to be a wise buyer and eater. Then again, I know I'm arguing against someone with the equivalent of religious fervor on the subject of food, so I've said my piece. Carry on.

10. The Big Ragu

Yes, I have a "religious ferver." I guess that style of being dismissive is a bit more mature than sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling.

You are so out of your element on this one. Corn has little nutritional value? It was the staple of the diet of a gazillion native north and south americans for centuries. How did they survive?

This is not about "addictive personalities." There is way more to what processed foods have done to create a more obese world.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-11/fatty-foods-addictive-as-cocaine-in-growing-body-of-science.html

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/craving-an-ice-cream-fix/

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Condescending Ragu is Condescending.

12. Where's the outcry to stop subsidies for processed food, which allows it to be cheap and convenient?

Draft saved Draft deleted