1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating NYT Mag piece on junk food

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 1, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They're three ounce drinks. When we have one, it's generally just one of them each.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So, inspired by this thread, I made a challenge for myself this week.

I abandoned Aldi and went to the nearby grocery store. It has a section on the left with all the fresh produce and meats, and an aisle along the back with the milk and cheese. My goal this week was to eat nothing that didn't come from that part of the store.

Technically, it was a failure, because I made it all the way to tonight before the call of gas station pizza got to me.

But practically, it was a big success. I've improved my eating habits a lot over the years, to the point where they are more "OK, that could be worse" instead of "how are you not dead already?" This was the healthiest I've eaten for a week in pretty much ever, and I definitely felt a difference. It was partially placebo I'm sure, but I felt really darn good. Going to get back on the wagon tomorrow and then go for another week.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Would.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The engineered foods absolutely are addictive. I've seen a lot of the documentaries about juicing and micronutrients and so forth (e.g. Fat Sick and Nearly Dead) and it made me realize....almost all of the salty/spicy snacks that I love are Frito Lay. They just hit me in a way that other snacks do not. And I think it must be because they have their addictive science down to a repeatable, consistent formula that people's bodies recognize.

Also, I read all nine pages and really am surprised no one has talked about the dangers of artificial sweeteners. Aspartame in particular is in so many things and is really dangerous and bad for our health. The products have to carry that phenylketoneurics warning language for a reason, and when you think about all that DOESN'T have a warning label, it's pretty freaking brazen for America to guzzle aspartame like it's nothing.

If you feel like garbage, cut out aspartame and reduce your caffeine and see how good you feel. The results are clear and noticeable, at least in my experience. You get a lot less headaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted