1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating article: Arthur Miller's secret son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/features/2007/09/miller200709?printable=true&currentPage=all

He wasn't mentioned in his autobiography and was never publicly acknowledged. The LA Times was the only major US newspaper to mention him in his obit.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dammit! There is to be no outing on the board. Now, apologize to JDV, Mr. White.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn, that was one hell of an article.

I guess "the moralist of the past American century" who believed in the "fierce belief in man's responsibility to his fellow man—and [in] the self-destruction that followed on his betrayal of that responsibility" couldn't handle the idea of raising a child like that.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a good read.

5. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

I currently work with children and adults with special needs. Even today, many times the best decision some families can make is to turn their child over to someone or some agency that can provide the love and emotional support the biological parent can't or won't provide. It's ironic that there used to be a social stigma about keeping your special needs child and now there is a stigma about giving up your special needs child.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Stigma about giving them up?
    Yes, it's yours, love it like you would otherwise.
    Sorry, I think walking away from the child is the lowest thing to do.

7. Miller was hardly alone:

Sam Snead also had a special needs child that he seldom talked about. The kid lived in a special home up north somewhere, while the rest of the family stayed at the family farm in Va.

Edit: After reading Vanity Fair article: Arthur Miller is a slimy cocksucking hypocrite. I hope he's spends coutnless hours in hell listening to the wails of abandoned children.
    Money - especailly funds left after your dead - is no substitute for the love of a parent.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I took a class on American Drama, and one of our assignment was to read Arthur Miller. Reading "The Price" was interesting, but I couldn't get too into it, and seeing it only confused.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Holy hell. That was fantastic.

10. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Keep in mind that people like Daniel Miller are the best possible outcomes. Imagine taking care of a 42-year old child who never grew out of the digging in his diaper. Or a 300-pound Autistic teenager with uncontrollable tantrums.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's a terrific story.

One thing I wonder: The first subtitle, The Power of Denial -- I read that as The Power of Daniel, and I wonder if the word was used specifically as a kind of mindtrick, or if it was an accident.

It's a little shivery, how predictive that boy's name seems to have been.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My aunt was forced to put my cousin, who has fragile X syndrome, in a home when he was about 15 after he threw her down the stairs, breaking her arm, during a tantrum (his IQ was about 35-40 and he was nonverbal). The decision to keep or give up a child who will never be self-sufficient is not an easy one, and I wouldn't wish it on someone I hated.

Draft saved Draft deleted