1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farrakhan shows some heart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Feb 26, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I read a brief story on what might be the last speech given by Farrakhan, and he seemed to be playing the role of uniter. It was nice to see. I haven't followed the man, but I know he's been viewed by many as more of a divider. It's nice to see that he has some grace as he faces his last months.

In that same vein, I was watching a piece on O'Reilly tonight, and I was struck by a scene where he was talking with some of the GOP's big dogs. I wondered if he really believes all the BS he spouts and what the party thinks of his fanboy attitude to things they know to be complete bullshit.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Please, Calypso Gene is a complete fraud.

3. HeinekenMan

I'm not judging the man, just his words. I liked that he points out that Mohammed and Jesus would embrace if they were together. I like that he calls for people to come together in peace.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

One positive speech doesn't negate thousands of negative ones. Just sayin'.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this would be about Farrakhan's autopsy.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One speech doesn't make a bigot into a good man, either.

Read some of the crap this guy has written or said about other groups, particularly about Jewish people, and tell me what a great uniter he is again.

A long while back at one of my former stops, we heard something on the TV about Farrakhan being ill. I made a sarcastic comment, basically making my distain for the loudmouth jackass very clear.

One of our assistant news editors, who had been a friend of mine, told me to shut up. When I tried to explain myself, he just got louder. Now, I couldn't care less what color the guy is. He preaches against Jewish people. I find him to be extremely offensive and I've never really forgiven my former friend for his attitude (we had another, much louder dispute over a story I wrote, so it wasn't just this minor argument).

I understand people being sensitive about criticism of somebody who is a leader in a minority community, but every time I read about Farrakhan or hear him speak I want nothing more than to feed him that damn bow tie.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure David Duke once said something nice about a black person. Once.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But did he use the word coon when he said it?

9. HeinekenMan

I just think it's interesting that some of the world's biggest shitheads suddenly find their softer side when the end is nigh.

10. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

Yeah, these are great people:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/23/america/NA-GEN-US-Sudan-Nation-of-Islam.php

DETROIT -- Sudan's president told attendees of the Nation of Islam's national conference via satellite Friday that the United States is exaggerating troubles in his country's volatile Darfur region so it can control the country as it has in Iraq.

President Omar al-Bashir was invited to speak at the three-day convention by representatives of longtime Nation leader Louis Farrakhan. Al-Bashir said he was using the address, which also was said to be broadcast live on Sudanese television, to call on the mass media and American public to learn the truth about his country.

"A number of governments, including the U.S., are putting pressure (on Sudan)," he said. "They're imposing solutions that don't respect the dignity of our nation."

More than 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million been chased from their homes in Darfur since 2003, when rebels from ethnic African tribes rose up against the central Arab-led government.

Al-Bashir denied reports of ethnic cleansing among tribes and said Darfur is "quite calm." He said its problems are limited to a small section in the region's north.

He was enthusiastically greeted by several hundred people who chanted "Allahu Akbar," or "God is great," several times during his address.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Why did you bold that sentence?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why wouldn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted