1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farmington, N.M.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Dufresne, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Helluva golf course in Farmington, but that's about it.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes on the golf course. It's got that and the fact it's 45 minutes from Durango going for that. Other than that ...

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

An uncle of mine used to have a print shop in Aztec, the county seat. Having never had any connection with papers there, about the best thing I can think to say about the area is that Durango, Colo., and Purgatory ski aera are pretty close.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This does not have the Angola! seal of approval.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, it IS about 600 miles closer to the nearest In 'N' Out Burger than where I am right now ....

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unless it's Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Las Cruces, I can think of no reason to ever work in New Mexico.

Have a friend who's husband worked at the Ruidioso (sp?) paper for a year or so before Gannett's lies, broken promises, cheapness, etc., drove them out. I would expect that happens in LC as well, which is too bad because that seems like it could be a decent place to love and work.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Las Cruces? I want to like the place, but man, is it ever rough. And I'm not easily intimidated by rough towns, but day-yumn. Not a whole lotta love there.

And Farmington? Beautiful location, albeit cold in the winter. But it's a textbook case of dysfunctional race relations. Hispanics, "Anglos" and Native Americans live in a three-way clusterfuck of hatred there. Each group seems to think they are the rightful owners of the place and that the other two groups should be bludgeoned into silence, figuratively, if not literally. Of course I'm sure there are good people there, but I suspect that its bad rep is deserved. I shudder to think at how those tensions play themselves out in the world of school and youth sports. This seems like the kind of town where the locals hate the newspaper because the reporters aren't locals. I could be wrong about that last point, but I'd be very wary with this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted