1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo the TV series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Apr 14, 2014.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've been loving the show so far. The use of the Durufle Requiem throughout the third episode was masterfully done, especially at the end. I laugh as much during Fargo as during most comedies.

Oswalt's obtuseness doesn't surprise me. He's been shown to be basically averse to doing detective work since the first episode. I'm guessing the only reason he became chief is he was next in line in terms of seniority. Also, with all the detail that Malvo gave, I don't think it's a stretch that they believed him.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this view of Oswalt. Have to disagree about the music though.... it was the Fauré Requiem. :)

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My minuscule knowledge of classical music, especially compared to you, comes back to bite me. Thanks for the correction.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The main reason I can tell them apart is that a) the Duruflé has a solo part for my voice type while the Fauré doesn't and b) The "Libera Me" from the Fauré is one of the most beautiful melodies ever composed IMO. :)

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Deus Ex Machina is pretty strong with this show. Which, in a sense, is too bad. I like shows where folks make the wrong choices based on reasonable logic, not writer-controlled obtuseness.

The show is too smug and elitist by half -- like the line in one episode that Bemidji doesn't have a library, when there's a damn college in the town -- and I'm not exactly sure why. It also seems unusually hateful of people. But I'm still watching.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

After this episode, I'm not so sure. Holy fucking Christ.

I fine with violence in TV/movies when there is a point to it, but this was violence just to be show-offy. I'm not even sure what the story is anymore.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That said, the shootout in the blizzard was a pretty tremendous piece of TV.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What was the DOA count there at the end?

9. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

At least 4 dead, maybe 6 if the deaf hitman was killed by Molly before she got shot.*EDITED AFTER READING THE GRANTLAND Q&A** Yeah, revisionist history.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

BTW, Molly isn't dead. Alison Tolman let that slip in an interview with Grantland. She's in "pretty bad shape," she said, but not dead.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Blue font? (It is not the last episode.)

12. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Yeah, I realized both after the fact. I'm a damn good journalist, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted