1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo the TV series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I will check it out. Loved the movie and had also spent a lot of time in Fargo and norther Minnesota. The show is filmed in the city I live in so will be fun to watch for scenes I recognize as well.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

A Serious Man will only grow in stature over time. The story of Job is timeless and it's told so well in the Coen Brothers' most personal movie. For me, it's just as claustrophobic as No Country, but on a micro, everyday level.

3. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Put me in the camp of those that love A Serious Man. It's funny you make the No Country for Old Men comparison, as I always think of it as a companion piece to that movie thematically. No Country for Old Men is my favorite movie and A Serious Man is probably my second favorite Coen Brothers film.

As for the show, I'm very excited to watch it. The film was so perfectly cast and it seems like they've done a great job casting the series as well.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's been done on here many times, but why not - My Coen Brothers rankings:

1. NCFOM
    2. Lebowski
    3. Miller's Crossing
    4. Fargo
    5. Raising Arizona

That's a stunningly good top five. Inside Llewyn Davis would probably be my sixth. I didn't dislike A Serious Man, but also didn't love it.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We can only hope this guy makes an appearance in the TV show.

[​IMG]

"So, you married Norm Son-of-a-Gunderson?"

Has there been a bigger loser in cinematic history than Mike Yanagita? He makes Biff Loman look like Han Solo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm super psyched.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

There are so many things I love about Fargo, including the scene at the Radisson with Mike. For me, No Country for Old Men is a version of Fargo. I never thought to compare it to A Serious Man. I hated A Serious Man.

I'm trying to keep my hopes in check for the TV show.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The show isn't the Vikings, Amy. It can't hurt you.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Only on television:

[​IMG]

"I mean, you're a sexy girl and you smell great. You don't need to be set up. And I sure as hell didn't arrange this. I'm sure my father told you what a Lothario I am, but I'm not. I'm very anxious about it. I've never had sex, not even once. Okay. What am I doing? I ordered soup. I just said that."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I will say that not liking A Serious Man probably makes one a better person. It really seems to connect with us who are self-loathing, whiny men carrying a lot of baggage.

It's the Philip Roth of movies.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty disappointing only because it was a Coen Brothers movies. It was a pretty standard romantic comedy. If anyone else made it I think the reviews would have been much kinder.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If they don't have the two villains watching Leno with the hookers, I'm not interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted