1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo the TV series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, that last part really turned me off. Ruined a perfectly good show, though I'll still watch and still love it for the most part.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have a feeling there will be an explanation for the UFO, don't you?

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hope there is a (good) explanation, because it was a clunker for me. They've been hinting at it - Hank's mystery room, etc., but yeah, doesn't really work for me. "It's just a flying saucer, hon," was a good line, though.

HC likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Jake_Taylor and Steak Snabler like this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I look at Fargo, the movie and the show, as a tall tale. I think a lot of the Coen Brothers' stuff is like that and Hawley has really nailed it with the series.

You've got the opening, declaring it to be a "true" story when we all know it's not really. The Paul Bunyan stuff in the movie also is meant to be a reminder. The characters are larger than life. The villains are soulless killing machines, Malvo may have been the Devil himself, and the good guys are nothing but heroic and pure of heart. Yet, it all rings true because of setting and the tone.

This season in particular is like somebody telling us the story, the legend, really, of the Sioux City Massacre. How the Gerhardt family took over the North. How the Indian betrayed them all. How slick the Mike Milligan was. The Reagan stuff plays like some ole timer telling you about the time Dutch passed through town, not as any kind of historical truth. Heck, in this version of the story Bear seemed to turn into an actual bear at the end and couldn't be put down.

That's a longwinded way of saying the UFO stuff fits. It's part of the legend.

HC and cranberry like this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They appreciate absurdity. Now, is locking yourself in a meat freezer ever a good idea?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Liked the final episode of the season well enough, but it had no chance of comparing to last week's, which I though was a masterpiece.

8. Jake_Taylor

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This show is so good. Admittedly, I figured "a TV show based on Fargo" would suck. But it is tremendous. Given Hawley's resume, Bones and the Unusuals, who would have thought? Probably helps that he's a writer first and foremost, a TV guy second.

10. Jake_Taylor

The Unusuals was excellent.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was, but still - I don't know if anyone saw Fargo coming.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted