1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo the TV series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Apr 14, 2014.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There was a little discussion of it on the TV thread, but was thinking this one might get enough interest to merit its own thread. The more I read of interviews with the cast and crew, the more excited I'm getting for it. The first seven minutes, which they released recently is very good: https://screen.yahoo.com/exclusive-first-7-minutes-fxs-211406132.html. Dark comedy might be my favorite TV/movie genre, so I'm really hoping they can pull it off.

Here are interviews with Noah Hawley and Warren Littlefield, the creators of it: http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/interview-noah-hawley-and-warren-littlefield-bring-fargo-to-the-small-screen

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It starts tonight?

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Tomorrow.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like I said on the other thread, I was hoping it would be terrible so I wouldn't have to watch. Between Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Americans and Braves baseball, there's just not a lot of free TV time for me these days.

But it's apparently outstanding.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about the TV series, but Fargo might be the most overrated movie I have ever seen.

There. I said it.

6. Mizzougrad96

I disagree, but I think Joel and Ethan Coen are overly praised as directors. They had an incredible stretch at the beginning of their careers, but over the last 10-12 years, they have 3-4 whiffs for every hit, but to be fair, some of those hits (No Country for Old Men, True Grit) are pretty great.

A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis are two of the most overrated movies in recent years. Neither is terrible, but I'll bet the praise for both movies would be considerably lower if they weren't "Coen Brothers" movies.

Burn After Reading, Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers are just dreadful.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Inside Llewyn Davis is a better movie than True Grit, by a pretty good margin. True Grit is the one that's solid, but overpraised.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You shut your dirty, whorish mouth.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I turned off A Serious Man halfway through (and I love Michael Stuhlbarg in Boardwalk Empire). I didn't do that with Burn After Reading, but I probably should have.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Intolerable Cruelty is probably their most underrated movie. That's what I take issue with, specifically.

11. Mizzougrad96

Burn after Reading is probably their worst movie, IMO, especially given the A-list cast.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Will I watch? Ya shure yew betcha, at least the first one.

Draft saved Draft deleted