1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo prepares for devastating flooding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Those portable walls they're putting up, the ones used by the military in Afghanistan and Iraq, are pretty impressive. They saved parts of our downtown last summer when the Mississippi flooded.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fargo and Moorhead didn't prepare after the 1997 floods. Grand Forks was devastated back then and built dikes. They should be okay in GF for the most part.

And yes, the snow was pretty bad. This is my first winter in the area and everyone said that I picked the worst year to move there weather-wise. After several days of 40-50 degree temps, plus rain, there is still snow in my driveway.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

A bit off topic, but the Niagara River also runs south to north, which was news to Stockwell Day during the 2003 federal election campaign when he was still running the Alliance party.

Niagara Falls, Ont. — Stockwell Day mislaid his compass Tuesday at the Canada-U.S. border, slowing him down for a second consecutive day in his effort to showcase his economic prescriptions for the country.

In the second campaign slip-up in as many days, the Canadian Alliance leader again saw his messages on fixing the brain drain obscured, as a result of a sense of misdirection over which way one of Canada's major bodies of water flows. Mr. Day was attempting to draw a parallel between Canadians who go south to the United States for work, and the flow of Lake Erie. The problem with the analogy is that the lake migrates toward Canada, not away from it.

"Just as Lake Erie drains from north to south, there is an ongoing drain in terms of our young people in terms of our country," Mr. Day told reporters Tuesday while standing in front of a picture window that framed the Niagara Falls below.

"We would like to see that stop when it is a case of people feeling forced to move because of high levels of taxation."

When informed later that the Lake drains into the Niagara River, which travels north, Mr. Day said he planned to talk to the staff member who gave him the bum information.

"We will check the record," he said. "If someone has wrongly informed me about the flow of this particular water, then I will be having a pretty interesting discussion."

:-\

4. Notepad

Notepad Member

That Woodside kid will save them.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good people in North Dakota. Some of their finest came down to the state where I live when it flooded last summer.

We don't ask for these storms but they are our problem.

I'm pleased to see Grand Forks took active steps after 1997. Hope Fargo-Moorhead will not be too far underwater.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Was he on a Sea Doo when he made that comment?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Haha! No, I don't think he was. :D

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Visited Fargo and almost got a job there back in 2007. Nice town. But, yeah, this seems like an almost every-decade or so event.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Bad news. City had been told to prepare for a record 41-foot crest and thought they were ready. Now they say it's going to be 43 feet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090327/ap_on_re_us/midwest_flooding

The record is 40 feet in 1897, so, while this area gets flooding fairly often, this is an event unlike any they've had.

To find a light note in all this, a friend at the Fargo paper wrote a headline for a story about a woman who was arrested for standing on a dike. The hed was something like "Woman arrested for standing on flood dike." He said he made sure the word flood was in the headline. He also had a picture of Obama looking at blown up pictures of the front page of the paper, which he had helped design.

10. jps

jps Active Member

yeah ... levels are rising because it's snowing. six inches yesterday and was supposed to get worse today still.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The snow didn't seem to stop today. It wasn't that heavy, but certainly kept volunteer numbers down.

12. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

In our neck of the woods, not so far from the Fargo-Moorhead region, this winter marked the fourth highest snowfall accumulation on record.

To expand on Chet's original comment, for those who didn't catch on, snow melts slower up north because it is colder. This backs the river up to some extent pretty much every year. Just not this bad obviously.

All the best to everyone along the river.

Draft saved Draft deleted