1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo prepares for devastating flooding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

North Dakota gets more than its share of this bullshit.

Good luck to the folks there.

And if you get a chance, folks, there's always the avenue of donating a 20-spot to the Red Cross to buy a few hot meals for people in these sorts of situations.

I started doing it when Katrina hit, and when these things happen, it makes me feel a little less helpless.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.d8aaecf214c576bf971e4cfe43181aa0/?vgnextoid=46f51a53f1c37110VgnVCM1000003481a10aRCRD

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Outside of the Missouri, NDans have no idea what a river really is.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I grew up in Winnipeg which is about 3 hours north of Fargo. It was always a fun placed to drive down to and drink American beer for a weekend, friendly people too.

The Red river is one of the few rivers that flows north. It passes thru Winnipeg to Lake Winnipeg.

Winnipeg used to get hammered by floods as well until the floodway was built - basically an enormous ditch around the city that diverts the water. In bad years everything south of Winnipeg down to Fargo is turned into a huge lake - I guess this is what happens when you build on a flood plain.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sincerely, hoping things don't end up disastrous for the folks up there. But do move the wood chippers to high ground.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're using the Missouri to illustrate your point, it's a bad example. It's nothing but two big lakes in North Dakota because of the dams.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, a flood control dam or two on the Red would do wonders.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not sure you could Dam any part of the Red at this point, it would restrict the water going into Canada and submerge too many upstream US cities.

Maybe spend some stimulus cash on one of these:

http://www.floodwayauthority.mb.ca/home.html

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

As flat as that area is, is it like West Texas where they don't have street gutters in many places?

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Can you imagine trying to sell a house with this pending?

"Uh, no thanks, I'll wait and see what happens later this month, thanks."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not the only one who caught that.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, you weren't, you betcha.

Draft saved Draft deleted