1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo 50K seeks copy editor/designer to work on desk 4 days per week

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmiller, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jmiller

jmiller New Member

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, an award-winning 50,000 circulation daily newspaper located in Fargo, N.D., is in need of a full-time sports copy editor/page designer to join its night sports desk. We recently lost a talented copy editor/page designer to the Salt Lake Tribune. Our desk works four-day workweeks with three consecutive days off every week. Fargo-Moorhead is home to three colleges, including NCAA Division I North Dakota State, a host of area high schools, a Northern League baseball team and has a USHL team coming soon. The Forum sports section was voted in the top 10 by APSE in 2004. It’s our goal to return there and stay for years to come. The right candidate will get a chance to edit, design and work on projects. Job duties include editing staff, wire copy and designing sports covers and inside pages using Quark Xpress. Photoshop skills are a plus, but not required. Night and weekend work is required. Competitive salary and benefits. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, references and examples of your best work by email to jmiller@forumcomm.com or by regular mail to:
    Jason Miller
    Sports Editor
    The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead
    P.O. Box 2020
    Fargo, ND 58107-2020

Deadline is Sept. 14, 2007.

2. Good gig, good people, good paper, good town. A bit cold in the winter, however.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Isn't North Dakota State D-II?

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Don't know how I'd feel about working in N.D., but the 4-on, 3-off work week would be very appealing to me.

5. JB20

JB20 Member

North Dakota State moved to Division I. North Dakota, South Dakota State and South Dakota all have followed. UND and USD become DI next year. Who knew those states could support two DI schools, yet Minnesota has but one?

6. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Don't underestimate Minnesota's ability to suck.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hear in Winnipeg (not all that far north, IIRC), they have to plug engines in while the owners run inside, so that the cars will start up. Is this true?

8. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Well, speaking as a former Duluth resident and a Minnesota grad who saw two terrible concerts (and one terrible wedding) in North Dakota -- yeah, it's true. Sorta. You have to plug in diesel engines because the gasoline turns to jelly around -15 F. So, if you're a high school kid and want school to be cancelled when it gets cold ... you unplug the buses. not that THAT ever happened.

9. True, that.

Fargo is about 3.5 hours from Winnipeg, about the same from the Twin Cities. Westward, there is no larger city until Billings, perhaps, or Seattle.

But Fargo has a lot for a city its size.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's called a head-bolt heater. Most cars have one, unless you have a garage. Helps keep everything warm at night so it starts in the AM. No big deal, you just plug your car in at night.

Nothing can prevent square tires, a frozen gear shift and a cement seat except about 10 minutes of warm-up, though, which is why half of the Northern Plains are buried by an exhaust cloud for much of January and February.

But -40 keeps the riff-raff out.

11. Fisch

Fisch Member

I grew up in a tiny little town about 20 miles from Fargo and I've read the Forum all my life. I worked for the competing paper (now sister paper) in Grand Forks while I was in college and I know about half of the staff at the Forum. If you have any questions about the place. Feel free to msg me and I'll tell you about it. What I can say is Jason Miller is a really great guy. I met him at APSE this year. The rest of his staff that I know are great too.

Fargo may not be the greatest city in the world, but it's not bad. Sure it's cold and you have to plug your car in. But how many places can you start your car, go back inside and let it run for a few minutes with the doors unlocked and not have to worry about someone stealing it? I never locked the door to my apartment when I was going to school. Never. Not once. It's one of the safest cities you'll ever live in.

For someone straight out of college, or someone at a smaller paper looking to move up, this is a great gig.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I know one of the Fargo's latest hires. They were straight out of college, and seem to like the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted