1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fargo 50K daily seeks organized S.E.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmiller, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jmiller

jmiller New Member

Description:

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, an award-winning 50,000 circulation daily newspaper in Fargo, N.D., is seeking a full-time Sports Editor to lead a team of 10 full-timers and five part-timers. Fargo-Moorhead is home to three colleges, including NCAA Division I North Dakota State, a Northern League baseball team and a USHL team is coming soon. The Forum sports section was voted in the top 10 by APSE in 2004. It’s our goal to return there and stay for years to come. We’re allotted a lot of tools to do great work out of a completely renovated newsroom. We are allowed generous use of a company plane that allows us to send a large staff to cover North Dakota State University football and men’s basketball games. We place a priority on trying new things. The right candidate will lead a talented team of writers and page designer/copy editors. This job requires a high level of organization and the ability to think in new ways. Competitive salary and benefits. The Forum is owned by Forum Communications, a successful family owned company based in Fargo. To apply, please send resume, cover letter and references by e-mail to jmiller@forumcomm.com or by regular mail to: Jason Miller, Deputy Editor/Nights, The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, P.O. Box 2020, Fargo, N.D., 58107-2020. Deadline is Sept. 21, 2007.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

A plane? I wonder what the company car looks like.

3. Considering the distances they have to go to cover things, a plane makes sense.

The company that owns the Forum also owns one of the TV and radio stations in town, so they can take those reporters/play-by-play guys in the plane, too.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If I was single, I'd go for this job in a second. Fargo puts out a quality section.

5. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

forgive my stupid question, but is this job strictly organizational? is there page layout or coverage duties? what all does the SE do?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

fargo does good work -- but it's a tad too cold there for me

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wuss

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh geez... someone complaining about the cold in Fargo?

I wondered what happened to Jason Miller, but a closer check reveals he must have been promoted to deputy editor/night desk. Congrats to Jason.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

cold weather sucks -- i don't care what anybody says. I'll take 100 degrees every day of the year.
    Look what living in michigan did for slappy -- froze his brain.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It would have had to thaw out for him to notice the difference...

S-a-y... wait a minute

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to know about wood chippers.

12. Fisch

Fisch Member

Congrats on the promotion Jason.

Draft saved Draft deleted