1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farewell Vince Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Vince Young's record against teams that finished .500 or better: 13-14.
    Vince Young's record against teams that finished below .500: 17-4.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Michael Silver wrote a good column awhile back about how Texas babies its athletes way too much, and that Mack Brown is at least partially responsible for VY not being able to handle criticism/coaching and adversity.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface091208

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Harrison does not catch many passes the throws.

He is tough as nails. He finally proved that this season, or the off season made him tougher (possibly the latter).

Film is great, but it can only go so far. You have to be able to think quickly at the line before the snap, make a decision and go with it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roethlisberger is a tough, tough guy. Just ask any of the women he's raped.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll just say this . . . Young fit the broad profile of a good modern college QB better than the profile of a likely NFL success variety.

Carry on.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He has the attitude of Ryan Leaf and the clutch decision-making of Jay Cutler. He's going to make some NFL team very unhappy.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Mallet where he's likely to be picked. I would be weary of Gabbert and Newton. I'd take them in the second round or later, but don't see any of them as slam dunks.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Plus, you have to factor in apparent attitude issues. Was in the locker room once after going on injured reserve and blew off the season ending meeting.

Seems like that could be the recipe for similar behavior, different locale. At some point, teams are going to get burned enough by the high profilers like Young, Woody Moss, etc. that they'll stop taking chances on them. Ok, no they won't, but the number of suitors will at the least go way down.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I'm not defending anyone. You have defended Vince Young over and over and now his career is in shambles.

He is a bust.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

O RLY? Only time you ever address me is whenever hondo is involved. And I have no idea why you chimed in this time. I haven't mentioned the guy. Got him on block. He's beyond useless to me and not worth my time, though I find it interesting and not in a good way that he started this thread.

And Vince Young is a bust? He's 27. I wonder what you would have written on SportsJournalists.com about Jim Plunkett in 1976, or Vinny Testaverde in 1992. Plenty of time for Young to mature and make you look foolish.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

oops, I meant to post this on this thread:

The following is an unverified post from commenter on PFT:

What are you people smoking, Fisher is terrible!

-Fisher has the second lowest winning percentage of coaches with more then 140 wins in the history of the NFL! Only Dan Reeves has a lower rating!

-Jeff Fisher has the fewest winning seasons of any NFL coach who has won 140 games in NFL history.

-He has only been to the Playoffs 6 times in his 17 years as a head coach.

-His performance in the post-season is the third worst in NFL history for coaches with over 140 wins! Only Chuck Knox and Marty Schottenheimer have a worse winning percentage in the playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted