1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farewell Vince Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just gained a ton of respect for Bud Adams. It's nice to see an owner who listens to the people around him.

If you can get him cheap, I could see the Niners, Raiders, Vikings, Bengals and Cardinals taking a look at Young. But what he did to Fisher, who is widely considered one of the most likable coaches in the league, is going to hurt him.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A hyperventaliting, privileged bubbleboy with rabbit ears who treats a playbook like a disease-carrier and can split a locker room with a wave of his arm . . . oh, yeah, baby, sign me right up.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure Cam Newton is going to love being compared to this guy at the combine and leading up to the draft.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Randall Cunningham, that's who Newton reminds me of.

Other than skin color, I don't see Newton and Young being similar at all.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well they also play football.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, there are no other comparisons than those.

They're basically the same size. Newton is the better passer of the two, but both are very mobile quarterbacks. Hell, I just read a story in one of the Oregon papers where Newton said he tries to emulate Vince Young when he's out there.

But other than that, yeah, they're just black and they both play football.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Terrelle Pryor = Cam Newton without Gus Malzahn calling the plays for him.

Both are going to need a lot of work to play in the NFL.

To me part of the problem with great college QB's is that the expectation to immediately succeed in the NFL is to high.

When you hear the great QBs talk they all say it takes at least 5 years to reach their peak.

The QB's drafted in lower rounds get a lot more time to develop.

8. Mizzougrad96

I so hope Newton is off the board before the Niners pick.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He won't be. He's a Niners lock. Josh McDaniels loves him some SEC Heisman-winning project QBs!

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Young and Newton don't even have the same throwing motion.

Newton throws overhand with a huge arm and a tight spiral. Young throws a looser ball sidearm.

Newton eludes defenders very well with stiff arms and has a great straight-ahead burst. Newton also is very good sliding his feet away from contact. Young is physically bigger than Newton and seems to escape the pocket better and gain yardage racing to the sideline.

Young has better touch on the football. Newton throws a much better rope.

Newton seems much more mentally stable.

You could say they both played for the BCS Title and ran the same offense (pretty much) in college.

I just see Newton as a Randall Cunningham with a quicker release.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Over the years, Young has turned out slightly better in terms of his on-field body of work than I thought he would, but he's still no choice at all for any management team serious about winning the whole schmeer.

12. Mizzougrad96

Vince seemed very mentally stable when he was beating USC.

Draft saved Draft deleted