1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farewell Urban?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Urban and Haslam are made for each other.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Micropolitan Guy-
    I have had this argument before with my wife, saying the Browns were the Patriots of the 1950s.
    No one gives a crap about that nor Blanton Collier.
    I didn't think I'd have to be so precise on a board for sports journalists.
    Whoever delivers a Super Bowl victory to Cleveland will have highways named after him.
    It's the equivalent of raising the dead and surely that's not lost on Urb.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Meyer is so self righteous he makes me root for Satan.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He couldn't even tell the truth in his presser yesterday.
    "It's complicated."
    No. No it's not.
    And the fact that he had to read everything off a script.
    What a sickening, disgusting individual.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Someone (perhaps Rinaldi) was interviewed on ESPN the other day, and they said Meyer was pissed at how the school didn’t totally back him in the Zack Smith thing. He’s lucky he kept his damn job. Tressel got fired for less.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Change that from the Browns to the Lions
    They won three NFL titles in the 50s
    The last came in 1957 when I was three years old
    The Browns at least came close in the 80s
    The Lions will never be in a Super Bowl in my lifetime

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    maumann likes this.
  7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Weird thing is they DID back him. He lied about everything and destroyed the little evidence that proved how much he lied. They could have fired him for erasing his phone for starters since I'm sure his cell phone is University-issued.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Didn't the Lions get to the NFC championship game one year in the early 1990s?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to believe, but yes, in 1991 season. Lost 41-10.

I'm surprised they've made eight wild-card games since then.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lions hoisted a banner two years ago for that team winning a playoff game. Not a division. Not a conference.

A playoff game.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Lions did win the division that season
    Their last division title was in 1993

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think there are tradeoffs you have to make for each.

Total megalomaniacs can do better in college because everyone has to answer to them, and for the most part, the press is subservient or at the very least, the fanbase doesn't give a shit about your moral failings and will take your side every time, even if you're a complete scumbag, as long as you win and make them happy on Saturdays. Hell, the Ohio State president joked that he hoped Tressel would let him keep his job at one point, Joe Paterno refused to be fired when his athletic director tried to do it, and there is zero doubt Saban could get the president of Alabama fired if he wanted to. Very few NFL coaches, if any, could even get their GM fired, and none of them have the power to override the owner. Even Belichick had to trade away the quarterback of the future when he lost a power struggle with his current QB and the owner demanded it. In college, if a player refuses to listen to you or tries to undermine you, he has almost no power. You can essentially end his career and limit his ability to transfer.

In the pros, the press is more contentious and the fanbase is quicker to turn on you. They don't have any to deal with recruiting or with boosters, but you can just as easily get fucked over by agents or by guys who are trying to avoid injury so they can get their next contract. The hours are worse because there are no weeks where you can win on talent alone, and even a Super Bowl only gives you temporary job security. In college, you can usually find someone who can play quarterback in your system, even if he's 5-foot-11. In the NFL, there might only be 8 guys alive at any point who are truly great at the position, and even if you luck your way into one of them, you have a four-year window before their salary explodes and cripples the rest of your salary cap. In college, you can sell your players on the idea that talking to the press is treason, and a violation of some phony code or brotherhood. In the NFL, everyone leaks, including (especially) your front office and your scouting department, and they'll happily fuck you if they can.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Donny in his element and Slacker like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted