1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Farewell Columns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thomas Goldkamp, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The story was heartwrenching, and it was incredibly brave for the author to reveal himself like that.

The headline is hackneyed and almost turned me off to the story before I got there. I get that it doesn't want to give away the punchline, but jeez. That said, it's s student paper, and things like that are part of the learning process. Hope whoever wrote it improves with time and seasoning. And once you get to the story, the headline doesn't matter anymore.

2. I guess I need to read more farewell columns. Like I said, generally not a fan. I can't remember more than one or two I even liked enough to remember.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Has it occurred to you that you might think farewell columns at student newspapers work better because you personally know some/most/all of the writers who have written the farewell columns at student newspapers?

4. It's crossed my mind. I actually went back and read one that I had thought was really good a few years ago. Reading it a few years later, it seemed pretty empty.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That actually made it worse for me. I knew the kids, and therefore wondered why they were wasting my time with that many column inches of self-indulgence.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I did one at my first shop but none since. If you get another gig, just move on.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think it's worth telling your readers. But do it on Twitter or a blog. Run a note at the end of your last column, an actual column about actual sports (or whatever it is you write about).

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I wrote one once. Wish I hadn't. Felt like I was delivering my own eulogy.

YHS, etc

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I was asked to write one today to run next week and just wrapped it up. Inspired by this thread, my lede reads, "Farewell columns are boring."

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

11. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I can't stand farewell columns, but that was well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted