1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Far from Trite

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Outta Here, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd just like to be known as the Tom Clancy of Greasy Creek.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Gene

3. Entertain?
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.
    Somebody buy me a map, please.

4. Blushing

Blushing Member

Maybe you've come upon something there. Maybe some columnists don't know what "entertain" means. But I think Gene understands that to entertain is to amuse and hold interest.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Densely written, isn't it? Shouldn't be that much work to get through a column, especially when it's long.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And there was nothing amusing or interesting or the least bit entertaining about that pile of shit.

7. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

A fun column, as usual, in my mind.

But for those who did not enjoy it, at least he's working. This clearly took a lot of thought and effort, compared to most columnists who seem to sit down in front of a computer and type whatever comes into their head until they hit their word count.

And he's not ridiculing our profession. He's just poking fun at people in the sporting world and having a little fun.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So this is where Steve Rushin picked up his annoying habits.

Never read this year-end piece before, though I've read Collier before. It's okay. Once a year.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I think it's getting cliche for Gene to pretend that football terminology is somehow cliche. Cover Two is not a cliche. And simply acknowledging that you're guilty of this particularly cliche doesn't really cover you.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Paging DP...

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It is what it is: good idea, mediocre to ponderous execution.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Watch it, bird. I bet "medicore to ponderous execution" makes the last next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted