1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy umpire leagues?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've heard them talking about this on ESPN Radio. Apparently a bunch of ESPN guys have a fantasy umpire league.

The only statistic is number of times the umpire ejects a player or a manager. The winner of the league is the owner of the team whose umpires have run the most players and managers at the end of the season.

I don't see this becoming hugely popular. I'm guessing Joe West would be a high pick.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is there a stat for making such an unbelievably shitty call that it boggles the mind that the ump can dress himself in the morning, let alone remain gainfully employed as an umpire?

If so, I call dibs on C.B. Bucknor and Angel Hernandez.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll take Hunter Wendlestedt and Tim Tschida for 200, Alex.

Bucknor, too.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, I'll take them in the ejection poll. Those doucherockets fuck up so many calls that they have to lead the league in ejections.

Talk about stealing a fucking paycheck.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bucknor is hall-of-famer here.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate Hernandez. Piazza had the entire plate blocked and a gash on his upper-thigh. The bastard Brave was out.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

CB Bucknor is to that league what Alex Rodriguez was to fantasy leagues last year. When all the umps fucked themselves a few years back with their ill-timed strike, I had such high hopes that it would bring accountability to the fuckups like Hernandez, and of course, Bucknor. But nothing changed.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd like to pick Ken Kaiser if he's still in baseball. He's got a real fast trigger finger.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The late Eric Gregg:
    http://www.citypaper.net/articles/082699/feat.cov1.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted