1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy sports: 'Worst trend of the last three decades'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Understand, completely, what you mean.

Funny thing is, I find that the more I "know" (IMO, at least) about a sport, the worse I do in the fantasy version. I pride myself on being a knowledgeable football fan.....but just STINK at fantasy football. Haven't watched an NBA game in 20 years, but since being talked into a fantasy hoops league a few years ago, I've pretty much dominated my group. For me, fantasy hoops is a straight, analytical exercise.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Then play college fantasy football...if that's what you follow instead. I've been playing for 5 or 6 years now and it's a lot of fun. Much harder too, I think. Since instead of 32 QBs to draft from, you have more than a 100. I took Dwight Dasher (MTSU) with my first pick. The bastard screwed me over, but I still finished in the money thanks to picking up Ryan Aplin from Ark. St. off the wire. Having Ohio St's. D and both of ECU's WRs helped as well.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Football is the hardest one and the least dependent on actual knowledge/preparation and most dependent on luck.

I compare baseball and basketball, in a lot of ways, to Scrabble. You don't have to know what the words mean in Scrabble. You just have to know that those letters go together. Because of the nature of basketball and baseball, especially baseball, you can be fairly successful just taking it on as a purely mathematical exercise.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Where do you play that?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By "commodification," I assume the letter-writer meant the act of using sports only as a random number generator. Without mythology or loyalty or regional passion, what do sports become?

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually, if not for fantasy, I'm not sure I'd still follow baseball.

I'm a kid of the 60's & 70's. Growing up, baseball was EVERYTHING to me. One of those kids who went to sleep with his glove under his pillow & listening to Herb Score call the Indians game.

Due to the labor issues, steroid foolishness, etc., I'd really lost interest in the game....with the exception of a long standing, AL only, keeper league. It kept me interested & I'm (slowly) re-finding some affection for the game. I'm glad for that.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Betting the spreads is exciting too, but I don't like all the loops I have to jump through to get a check from BetUS. Plus all of the fees.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's something fun you can do with some friends.

Dude needs to lighten the fuck up.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've found that participating in both Football and Baseball fantasy sports leagues has increased my overall knowledge of the games and players.

There are players I've come across that I never realized how productive they were until I had them on my fantasy team. There are also players I thought were very productive only to find that it was not the case. David Wright comes to mind as one of those players. Great stats at end of year but awful in fantasy league because he is so streaky.

Juan Uribe - never realized that he was a 20 hr a year player until I needed a 2B.

Dave Roberts - had him the year he was traded to the Red Sox. He was my SB player playing every day with Padres. Tons of steals. Knew when he came in to pinch run that the Yankees were screwed. Would not have known otherwise had Roberts not been on my fantasy team.

It has no impact on how I root for teams.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, I did not write that letter to SI.
    But I don't get the fascination with fantasy sports and, as you all know, I don't give a damn about how your fantasy team is doing.

A lot of my friends who play have said the same thing Boom did about increasing their knowledge of more teams and players.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The fantasy taxpayers of my fantasy team's municipality will vote tomorrow on a bond to fund our new stadium. The public debate today on fantasy talk radio figures to be spirited, if not spnited.

Draft saved Draft deleted